• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

What went well:

Used WFH to get into running - on track to exceed 1,500 miles between March and the end of November (more miles than I've driven in the same period of time!)
    The above 2 meaning I now weigh around the same as I did when I was 18
    WFH has meant the opposite for me. Work is so busy that I'm starting at 6.30, squeezing meetings in over lunchtime and finishing at 5.30. I'm hardly leaving my desk. At least I was able to walk around in the office and maybe walk to work BITD.

I'll admit it here - I'm beginning to sink with it all...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      WFH has meant the opposite for me. Work is so busy that I'm starting at 6.30, squeezing meetings in over lunchtime and finishing at 5.30. I'm hardly leaving my desk. At least I was able to walk around in the office and maybe walk to work BITD.

I was the same but I started using the local cafe, pub, starbucks to work out of during the day. Gave me a proper pep up to have something to get up and get ready for, get out of my joggers and out in the big world. After a week or two I became a regular which was nice so was really working well. 2nd lock down was a another kick in the nads and my productivity and mood is through the floor again.

When lock down ends see if you can do something similar. Find a space that's safe and you can work from even if it's just for half a day. The general public and staff are your new work colleagues.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        When lock down ends see if you can do something similar. Find a space that's safe and you can work from even if it's just for half a day. The general public and staff are your new work colleagues.
        I think it is very important to get out of the house (or at least away from your desk) for 30 minutes. Even if you can't do that every day, then do it as much as possible. On the occasions where I can't do it, I find it does affect me.

I'm fortunate I work for a client who take employee health seriously, and have put all sorts of mechanism in place for staff to ensure they have adequate breaks, and during these WFH times, that feeds through to contractors too (eg, advising people only to put meeting in at lunchtime if urgent/strictly required).

Comment

Good tips, all of them. Feels sometimes like everyone else is trying to prove how hard they are working as it's WFH.. I reckon some will reach burnout point shortly.
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I was the same but I started using the local cafe, pub, starbucks to work out of during the day. Gave me a proper pep up to have something to get up and get ready for, get out of my joggers and out in the big world. After a week or two I became a regular which was nice so was really working well. 2nd lock down was a another kick in the nads and my productivity and mood is through the floor again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

On the contract front it is business as usual, same contract at the same customer started month before pandemic. Will be billing bit over 230 days this year. Nearly quit due to burnout, but things are looking better now. Otherwise, quiet, more boring and lazy than usual year.

What went well:

Nicely spent first lockdown in with family, it appears we can spend months and months locked together with no issues. Overall growth of investments value and cash reserves, generally better financial position then at the beginning of the year. Great, warm summer and a lot of barbecues/ beer at unusual weekday hours.

What went bad:

Cancelled summer and winter holidays, also gained 8 kilos during the spring lockdown and summer, still working on getting that back.

Comment

Said this for years now - and without wishing to make it some kind of schadenfreude (because it's not) it is somewhat reassuring to see other people struggling too. My first, proper, full time time WFH job was in 2015 and I learned fast that, at best, I can "deal with it".

It just doesn't work as well as an office for me - and the not leaving the desk thing is very familiar.

Like NLUK, I did find going to Costa for a morning every now and again helped but that's very dependent on what you're working on. I've got a few potential contracts on the horizon and none of them will be compatible with that at all.

Comment

At this time of year I always go out at lunchtime as it is my only chance to see daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
                  Good tips, all of them. Feels sometimes like everyone else is trying to prove how hard they are working as it's WFH.
                  Sooo not me - I'm admitting, not proving.

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
                  I reckon some will reach burnout point shortly.
                  ...it's almost Christmas - I just have to hang on till then...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Went perm 1st Jan. Had a regular income (although the tax column is a little ouch), pretty much WFH all year apart from a few trips to NL and FR. Had 25 days holiday to take.

MVL's the co. Still waiting for sign off from HMRC but distributions made and war chest cash tucked up safely.

Been ok.

Expecting to ride out this, Brexit and IR35 and re-evaluate in two years.

Comment

234 billable days, have been in same contract since middle of last year, which is pleasing given that originally was only a planned 6 month contract.

First part of lockdown was reasonably busy, and I was quite disciplined - found I was more productive at work, exercised more and got more sleep, so generally felt better in self. Daughter no.2 arrived in July, and has been fantastic to spend far more time with her than I would have been able to had I been in London with 2hr each way commute.

Financially, very good - more billable days than anticipated, no bench time and no commute costs.

All that said (and starting to sound like a smug ****), lockdown no.2 has been less kind. Not sure if it's the weather, being less busy at work or missing the face-to-face interaction, but struggling over the last couple of weeks. Every day, weekday or weekend, feels the same, and running out of activities to keep eldest daughter (3) entertained.

Contract due to end week before Christmas - market isn't looking great, although client has mentioned possible perm offering, which will be a tough decision as well aware of the pitfalls, but this has been one of the best client or employer I have ever worked with/for.

Comment

Working...
                      X