• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No holidays means a whopping 254 days will have been billed by the 31st Dec.

Good bits; the money, obviously, and the chance to stuff some away before closing down. Being lucky enough to have a pool & gym at home.

Bad bits; Cancelled holidays, cancelled social life, COVID generally doing my head in.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      7 figure loss

I am just going to wait 30 years & sell my inventory as classics having depreciated them over a few years. Or I might just be ****ed and need to sell the house.

Stars of the show: M760iL 80k depreciation, A8 50L 85k depreciation. In one year.
      Genuinely sorry to hear this.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        No holidays means a whopping 254 days will have been billed by the 31st Dec.

Good bits; the money, obviously, and the chance to stuff some away before closing down. Being lucky enough to have a pool & gym at home.

Bad bits; Cancelled holidays, cancelled social life, COVID generally doing my head in.
        Sorry for your loss

Thoughts and prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Congrats - £105k is an AMAZING perm salary, even when compared to your day rate. What area do you work in?

My day rate was higher but my perm offers are in the £80k range, which is pretty much what I was earning back in 2003! To be fair, I'm happy with £80k because of my lack of saleable tech skills at this time. There's also the 'problem' of earning more than £100k and losing your personal allowance. My investments will kick me well over that mark so I need to look into some heavy salary sacrifice scheme.
          Thanks. I genuinely didn't know if it was good or not but, having looked, realise 105k is quite a bit more than most in my area.

I am a London based Tech Data BA in Financial Services with about 20 years experience with all types of financial firms, mainly in data projects.

In a sellers market I wouldn't be going into the perm role as have some concerns about the progression. I have been contacted about perm roles previously paying more than that and was asked to go perm at clients previously who'd have paid more than that, but I would never have considered them tbh as thought I would always be a contractor

Comment

Apart from 7 weeks in the summer non-invoicing due to covid related complications starting a new role overseas I've had a pretty blinding 2020 contracting wise.
            Current role is the highest rate I've been on in the UK (on deliverables not day rate) and just found I've won the tender for the R2 part of the project which starts next week - there wasn't even a 'negotiation' about my pricing
            End client has approved everything, just waiting for the framework provider to finish up the paperwork and purchase orders.

Outside of contracting, like everyone else it's been a pile of...... Drinking too much, 3 kids being typical 'teenagers' and living in Wales means we have worse government covid rules and management than anywhere else in the world.

Comment

Here goes:

Worked throughout the year.
              Contract extension in Sept, until 5th Feb 21. From Nov, it’s a 3-day part-time contract but can work full time if sufficient work available (and client billable). Under the circumstances, it’s a not a bad compromise.
              Approx 220 days billed.

What went well:
              Managed a short holiday in Europe before first lockdown.
              WFH since March and saved a small fortune not spending multiple daily trips to Costa/Starbucks.
              Saved 3 hours on daily round trip commute.
              Passed two financial exams during the lockdown.

What went bad:
              No summer holiday, luckily wasn’t booked, so not lost out.
              Put on a stone.
              Need to spend more time trying to win part time or additional contracts to supplement existing part time role.

Comment

Gone from earning 100k+ to 40k

What went well:
                I learnt some DIY skills.
                Didn't lose the house!

What went bad:
                Moving jobs in Febuary and new job getting pulled post-offer...
                The whole year pretty much...

Comment

312 days worked in 2020.

Never been so busy.
                  Gonna get drunk now.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    312 days worked in 2020.

Never been so busy.
                    Gonna get drunk now.
                    Essentially a whole year of 6 day weeks

I guess if there was ever a year to do it, 2020 was it

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
                      Essentially a whole year of 6 day weeks

I guess if there was ever a year to do it this is it
                      not quite 6 day weeks. There was a lot of double bubble. And a few weekends for go-lives. But mostly just charging 2 companies for the same work
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X