• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you bill the initial onboarding period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbp View Post
    No introductions at all except to the reporting person. They did create my account on day 1 and request a laptop and email. I got the laptop - although a week after the start date. Good signs to bill them?
    You need to read the contract carefully. There may well be a get out clause on only paying for work completed. Really you need to contact the agent or whoever is officially responsible for the contract, which might not necessarily be same contact you're currently dealing with. I would speak to them today.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hi,

I recently signed a contract with a company that works for another client. Although my contract has officially 'started', the company is being incredibly slow in onboarding me. They didn't even mention that there is an onboarding process going on. So, this is my best guess as to why they haven't given me any work yet. Communication is very poor, with my reporting person only interested in responding to what I ask on the text messages- if they feel like it. A call is always cut short.

No email account created yet, got the laptop after a week, no documentation is being sent over to get me up to date, nothing. All my previous works started on day one. So, this is new to me.

Is this fairly common? Do they expect me not to bill for this period? I rejected another opportunity for this and now I might lose billing if that is the case. Can someone please shed some light on this and give me some sanity.

Thanks,
      B
      In my last role (Agency -> Consultancy -> Client), I was on couple of meetings (30-40 min each) before receiving laptop and then initial setup like email, system access etc took about a week.

Consultancy asked me to invoice but I refused as I didn't do anything and it felt unprofessional.

In short, I didn't bill them.
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 16 November 2020, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        talk to the company you're contracted to.
        If their client is slow they may well be happy for billing to commence. EThis only works if they can bill the client whilst waiting though.

If you just bill them when they know you've done no work, it could set alarm bells ringing about your ethics.

Pick up the phone and ring your handler.
        Be polite but forthright.
        I can't advise you what to say as I don't know the full ins and outs. You're going to have to make a judgement call.
        What complete nonsense.

The client is paying for my time. If they are wasting it - that's not my problem. Whilst I would start looking for something else I would absolutely bill them for time wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
          What complete nonsense.

The client is paying for my time. If they are wasting it - that's not my problem. Whilst I would start looking for something else I would absolutely bill them for time wasted.
          Do you have a contract that states you can charge for work not done?
          If you do then you're right.

If you don't, which is highly likely, you may well be able to bill....
          but....... Don't be at all surprised if nobody signs your timesheet. And good luck getting paid in that circumstance.

I've been in this position before, and I have billed, but I have also discussed first. If your client isn't going to get paid by their client, they're sure as sh*t not going to pay you.
          Last edited by Lance; 16 November 2020, 13:20.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke to the agent just now. I can bill from the start date of the contract. Do not have the luxury to reject the payment, especially after being out of contract for the most part of the year.

Comment

If you are sitting around twiddling your thumbs and available while they get themselves together then absolutely start billing. If not then logoff, wait for further instructions and don't charge.

There isn't really a third option.

Comment

Does the client have an internal timesheet system? Ask them what should you book this time on? If they give you a code, send your agency timesheet to them for approval at the same time.

Invoice and job done.

If not, you don't get paid.

Comment

Has happened to me many many many times and I always bill, but obviously with covid and WFH then it's different than showing up to the office.

I'd probably bill anyway and if they complain then let em have it back. Tends to be the bigger companies that are slow to onboard and they allocate funds based on length of contract etc so the money is already budgeted and it'd probably be MORE of a pain not to invoice.

Comment

IMO it's a fine line but if I have been given and am expected to do work then I am on the clock. A started contract means nothing, nor does having the laptop or whatever. That's just getting the tools ready to work nothing more. I mean, how often do we see posts moaning about not having kit when they start. Here we are and the kit has arrived early. Nothing more. I wouldn't have been sitting back all this time though. I would have been pestering whoever to get started and get billing, not hanging around in no mans land doing nothing.

The OP should know if they are expected to work or not. Simple on boarding like meet and greets, getting laptops etc isn't work. I know it's tempting to try bill for this time but you've got to be pedantic here. Have they sent you work to do or have they not. Can't be too hard to work out. If you haven't been given work then get on their case to get some and start billing.

EDIT :

Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke to the agent just now. I can bill from the start date of the contract. Do not have the luxury to reject the payment, especially after being out of contract for the most part of the year.
                    Result.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes.

FWIW, I had one "onboarding process" with an Investment Bank drag on for six weeks after the contract start date! In the end, I had to contact a senior director of the Bank to actually get things moving. Just keep the agency and client informed of your complete availability. I got paid; no issues.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X