• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaving and permie taking over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    Vwdan...thanks for that most helpful ...not! don't you just love keyboard warriors...makes my day !
    I'm being sincere in my question. Which was "Why would you not be completely amenable?"

It's not good business to be difficult, it's not good for inter personal relationships to be difficult, so why wouldn't you do everything your power to ensure a smooth transition and handover? Worst case, you never work there again and you've lost nothing. Best case, in time, maybe they come back because they know you're happy to get the job done, handover, and move on just a contractor should.

Keyboard warrior - no, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Threads don't always go how you want them to go...

That said, of course you help them onboard, assuming you would entertain working for the client again. It's just good business.
      If I wanted IR35 advice I'd ask my accountant that wasn't my question or reason for posting...

Comment

If I wanted IR35 advice I'd ask my accountant that wasn't my question or reason for posting...
        Some reading for your time on the bench: How to Win Friends and Influence People: Amazon.co.uk: Dale Carnegie: 9780091906818: Books

Comment

Thanks GitMaster...that is my feelings!
          You've basically come in here looking for comfort and agreement, which is completely pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Thanks..!

Comment

You should probably ask your accountant about IR35 advice. It isn't looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                You should probably ask your accountant about IR35 advice. It isn't looking great.
                Bore off...I was simply asking what others would do in this circumstance...and some posters jump on people for no reason... ! simples

Comment

Bore off...I was simply asking what others would do in this circumstance...and some posters jump on people for no reason... ! simples
                  Well the professional response is to do a formal handover and leave in such a way that you are the first person they call when it all goes Pete Tong.

I suspect however you will avoid doing any handover and will be blamed by the offshore person for their inability to do their job (which is why you do a formal handover and get them to document the handover).
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This isn't a forum for offering comfort and congratulations for decisions that you've already made or for avoiding awkward questions that you'd rather not answer. There are other people reading these threads. When you post, it isn't all about you.

The sensible advice you've received is that you would be acting like a petulant child to not help with onboarding and that you are probably in serious difficulties w/r to IR35.

I hope you follow the sensible advice you've been given, but I don't really care whether you do. HTH and best of luck.

Comment

Make sure there is loads of tedious documentation for them to read.

Just write it, put headers in there and ensure the sentences make sense. Do some vague formatting and put in a few diagrams.

Then tell the management that everything is in the documentation and show them it.

Then arrange a couple of 30 minute meetings for the off-shore person in your last week - making sure the management knows - and go through some of the points showing them the location of the documentation and talking about it.

I've done it a few times because I'm so helpful, as a result a couple of them have rehired me.
                      Last edited by SueEllen; 17 November 2020, 13:33.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X