• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaving and permie taking over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    ....I was simply asking what others would do in this circumstance...

I would do a professional handover, making sure it was well documented.

If your reason for not doing it is that you've got the hump with them for not extending you, then do a bad handover and don't be surprised if they aren't happy with you and they'll maybe mention that to other businesses.

As has been asked, why would you not be amenable?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Vwdan...thanks for that most helpful ...not! don't you just love keyboard warriors...makes my day !
      Could be worse, could be a crying permatractor that makes everyones day.

You've had great advice but you've been really rude about it. It's a free and open forum and people are allowed to put what they like within reason.

If you don't want to be a professional don't post on a professional forum.

You are paid well to do a good job so this is your answer.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 17 November 2020, 13:50.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I've had repeat work years down the track via documentation I left behind as part of a handover.

Comment

I have always sent them links to the current documentation.

Where they have pointed out the documentation is outdated or not sufficient level of detail, I have asked them to contact my hiring manager to discuss options.

Sometimes this had led to last minute contract extensions or being called back to the client whilst on the bench.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            I've had repeat work years down the track via documentation I left behind as part of a handover.
            Metadata FTW!

I'm still helping out one ex-Client because I said I'd be happy to support if they have any questions. I get a text or email every now and then with things like, what's the log in for this? or, can you remind me why abc doesn't work?

Costs me nothing to reply with the info and I know that they'll have me back in the future.

It's actually quite funny to meet new staff taken on since my last stint there and they go, "oh! you're the one who wrote such and such document! it's an excellent reference!"

Comment

I am leaving soon and a permie is taking over...they have capacity due to loss of other work.
              Welcome to the world of Contracting.

But miffed as hoped I could have stayed longer so being pushed out...don't feel that amenable...lol!
              See above response.

how willing and helpful are you in this situation?
              I demonstrate and document enough for them to take over. That simple.

Anything beyond that - i.e. teach me all you know, as you implied in your post - is strictly a non-starter.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                I have always sent them links to the current documentation.
                What's current documentation? Never exists on the projects I'm on.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  What's current documentation? Never exists on the projects I'm on.
                  Such is the life of a contract Technical Author.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    Such is the life of a contract Technical Author.
                    I didn't know they still existed. As a naïve graduate I nearly ended up as one but escaped into code hacking.

Comment

Was it Napoleon who said graveyards are full of irreplaceable men?

Wrap up what you have been doing and send them the details. I tend to find it goes between the extremes of them not engaging with you at all and letting the knowledge walk out the door or them wanting to know everything about what you do.

Comment

Working...
                      X