• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaving and permie taking over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    this...

It amazes me when they can get good resource cheap they always provide crap resource even cheaper.

I had an argument with an SI once who provided a SAP consultant for £150 a day. We only needed 3/4 hours working but it was time critical and we had a migration that was dependant on its success. The client would have paid £5,000 a day it was that important but that was the only way the SI would do it.
    Suffice to say he f**ked it up
    That was Crap Gemini.

Same battle with TCS. We want quality for a good price, not just the best price
    Make your mind up, I thought you wanted quality

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    At the time it was predominately India being outsourced to and I think the problem was they tried to integrate technical staff into European projects and the cultural gap was too big. Around this time quite a few Indian contractors made their own way over and as a rule were very good.

Outsourcing to Eastern Europeans came along a bit later.
    I was having a couple of pints with an Indian lad when I was last working in CW. He warned us against outsourcing to India because that's no longer a big thing for them. They're now on a new focus of upgrading their country's infrastructure, so you're getting ex-call centre staff in IT jobshops instead. As he put it, all the good ones are in London, Silicon Valley, New York or in one of the big tech giants (MS, Google, etc.) in India.

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Managers who should know better seem to think you can put what you do in a box for someone else to pick up.
    What, you mean you can't hand over 9 months of work comprehensively in three and a half days?

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Handovers are important as they give the new person the opportunity to blame the outgoing person for everything and create a low baseline against which to perform.
    Go on, which side of the handover were you on?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Accenture have taken my work away.
      No, they haven't.

Try to think it through.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I was once informed my time was coming to an end and they expected me to train up some Indian team to cover my work once I had gone. Sadly telling me it was coming meant I found another contract pretty sharpish and gave my weeks notice and left after giving the worst crash course possible crammed into a couple of days by the time they were set up to get the info.

Heard from some colleagues it didnt go too well until some other contractor was drafted in to bail them out. By then I was long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
          I was once informed my time was coming to an end and they expected me to train up some Indian team to cover my work once I had gone. Sadly telling me it was coming meant I found another contract pretty sharpish and gave my weeks notice and left after giving the worst crash course possible crammed into a couple of days by the time they were set up to get the info.

Heard from some colleagues it didnt go too well until some other contractor was drafted in to bail them out. By then I was long gone.
          Best one I had was being told late on a Friday, "We don't like contractors on our team, so we've found a permie and he starts Monday". I was given one week's notice. I was the third contractor in the role in under six months; the others had left of their own accord.

The new permie quit after two weeks.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Go on, which side of the handover were you on?
            The winning side.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Best one I had was being told late on a Friday, "We don't like contractors on our team, so we've found a permie and he starts Monday". I was given one week's notice. I was the third contractor in the role in under six months; the others had left of their own accord.

The new permie quit after two weeks.
              My favourite one was being given 1 weeks notice by the agency as end client thought it was 2 weeks.

The amount of fun I had watching everyone fix the mistake (there was work I had to do on the second week) made everything very entertaining.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                My favourite one was being given 1 weeks notice by the agency as end client thought it was 2 weeks.

The amount of fun I had watching everyone fix the mistake (there was work I had to do on the second week) made everything very entertaining.
                Oh, I can beat that - on my very last contract in fact..

I turned up Monday in their offices as usual (I had been working for the client for quite a long time) and was asked "What are you doing here?" Apparently the client had been taken over, and the new owners policy was "no contractors".

I was told I'd been "let go" the week before - it was just that no one mentioned it to me, my agent, or the rest of the team I was working with. You can imagine how the next four weeks went as I insisted on serving out my notice.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                X