• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaving and permie taking over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I've had repeat work years down the track via documentation I left behind as part of a handover.
    Lol same on the gig I'm on. I got given some of what I created over two years ago when I rejoined. Nice feeling.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Lol same on the gig I'm on. I got given some of what I created over two years ago when I rejoined. Nice feeling.
      I've had similar.

On one gig I created a poor man's Project in Excel (it was a retail bank, they were hard up) and it was used by a few people. I left, did other things, thought no more of it.

I returned to an evolution of that project as the programme manager had 'gotten the band back together' and I got to meet a few more people that I hadn't met before. One of them showed me a spreadsheet and said 'this is absolutely great but it needs a bit more development, do you think you could pick it apart and tweak it?'

I look at said spreadsheet and said, 'I created that three years ago!'.

I advised they invest in a few MS Project licenses...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Could be worse, could be a crying permatractor that makes everyones day.

You've had great advice but you've been really rude about it. It's a free and open forum and people are allowed to put what they like within reason.

If you don't want to be a professional don't post on a professional forum.

You are paid well to do a good job so this is your answer.
        I haven't been rude at all I said at the very start my query was not about IR35 that has been done to death and I'm aware of my position having had a review. But some posters try to be preaching and smart and start pointing out something I am aware of. My question was simply about a handover where they want to "drain your brain" of all your knowledge before outsourcing which is not okay in my book. Thanks for those who have given helpful comments on my actual question...much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          What's current documentation? Never exists on the projects I'm on.
          Fully documented here

As per:

Manifesto for Agile Software Development

Working software over comprehensive documentation
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Its billable work, why not do it?

If you have skills that you uniquely possess and you are protective of them then sure I can get why you would think like that. If that was the case though you should actually be moving away from delivering work and find a more profitable way to exploit this. I suspect that isnt the case though and you probably have run of the mill tech skills like most of us. Just do the handover, be a professional or don't... its up to you really.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              If I wanted IR35 advice I'd ask my accountant that wasn't my question or reason for posting...
              you'd be asking the wrong profession then..... HTH
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                It's not good business to be difficult, it's not good for inter personal relationships to be difficult, so why wouldn't you do everything your power to ensure a smooth transition and handover?
                Because for a lot of clients, if you give them an inch, they expect a mile.

That said, and as others have said, there's good business sense in leaving on a positive note, but there's also a huge difference between a succinct professional handover and spoon-feeding your replacement. It's also not unprofessional to only do that which is required of you based on your contract and statement of work.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

That said, and as others have said, there's good business sense in leaving on a positive note, but there's also a huge difference between a succinct professional handover and spoon-feeding your replacement. It's also not unprofessional to only do that which is required of you based on your contract and statement of work.
                  a handover is not the same as training. Spoon-feeding counts as training IMO.
                  I always do a handover. I always refuse to do training.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

This is my thinking am not there to do a brain dump and train someone up....

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                      This is my thinking am not there to do a brain dump and train someone up....
                      There you. You've got the answer you wanted to hear. Good luck.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X