• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH (mostly) for a client in Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nedk87 View Post
    The issue of VAT melts my head even further.
    If I work under an Irish Umbrella, is this likely ever to be an issue?
    See my previous post
    Irish VAT reg.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I think you want to wait till the end of the month. It should be more clear by then... maybe
      Don't have that luxury unfortunately offer is on the table for the next week or so and notice has verbally (although not officially) been given to my boss

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        Ah I got mixed up. He is based in the North.
        Pay Irish tax is my advice.
        He has PPS and address in the south.
        Do anything on a UK tax return.
        The way the UK is going he might want to stay south!
        Good to know someone else here is dealing with the North and South!!

Thanks for the help - Just one question. If I'm primarily resident in the North (as I likely will be for 250+ days over next year), would keeping everything in this contract in my southern address cause many issues?

Comment

I'm in Northern England working for a consultancy in Dublin. According to my accountant (clue there), I'll be paying tax where the work is performed. I won't be in the Dublin office I'll be WFH for the duration (because the end client is in Latin America) so no taxes to pay there but corp. tax in the UK. No VAT either but I have to tell my accountant of my agency's vat code (also based in Dublin).

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            I'm in Northern England working for a consultancy in Dublin. According to my accountant (clue there), I'll be paying tax where the work is performed. I won't be in the Dublin office I'll be WFH for the duration (because the end client is in Latin America) so no taxes to pay there but corp. tax in the UK. No VAT either but I have to tell my accountant of my agency's vat code (also based in Dublin).
            Presumably you're working as a Ltd company? I wonder how things should work if my working week will be split between Ireland and the UK....?

Apologies for all these queries on a Forum btw - I'm asking professionals at the minute, but getting inconsistent advice!

Comment

Good to know someone else here is dealing with the North and South!!

Thanks for the help - Just one question. If I'm primarily resident in the North (as I likely will be for 250+ days over next year), would keeping everything in this contract in my southern address cause many issues?
              It shouldn't do if its all simple simon stuff.
              Do have a natter with your accountant though.
              All of the "work" I do aside of replying to basic emails and the odd basic phone call relating to Ireland is "done" in Ireland.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

The issue of VAT melts my head even further.
                If I work under an Irish Umbrella, is this likely ever to be an issue?
                VAT only an issue if you use a LTD. (or sole trader but that's very unlikely).
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Use UK Ltd for any work you physically carry out in UK, incl. NI.

If you work 30 days or less physically in RoI, continue via your UK Ltd.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profes...sp-it-3-07.pdf (see 4.2.3)

After 30 days physically in NI, it gets tricky and you need to pay tax in RoI. Possibly your UK Ltd could sub-contract to an Irish Director's Umbrella, or you could operate payroll in RoI with your UK company (not sure how you do this). See (but ignore what is says about 30 to 60 days which I understand to be ropey advice):

Contracting in Ireland with a UK Limited Company | Fenero personal tax services

I would talk to Icon Accounting re Directors Umbrella and for general advice. here are plenty of UK based contractors operating in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Use UK Ltd for any work you physically carry out in UK, incl. NI.

If you work 30 days or less physically in RoI, continue via your UK Ltd.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profes...sp-it-3-07.pdf (see 4.2.3)

After 30 days physically in NI, it gets tricky and you need to pay tax in RoI. Possibly your UK Ltd could sub-contract to an Irish Director's Umbrella, or you could operate payroll in RoI with your UK company (not sure how you do this). See (but ignore what is says about 30 to 60 days which I understand to be ropey advice):

Contracting in Ireland with a UK Limited Company | Fenero personal tax services

I would talk to Icon Accounting re Directors Umbrella and for general advice. here are plenty of UK based contractors operating in Ireland.
                    Thanks very much. I'm in contact with Icon at the moment, but they seem to be pushing the Director Umbrella option exclusively - which doesn't tie in with advice I'm getting elsewhere!

Comment

Thanks very much. I'm in contact with Icon at the moment, but they seem to be pushing the Director Umbrella option exclusively - which doesn't tie in with advice I'm getting elsewhere!
                      It’s the most tax and cost effective way of contracting in Ireland. The tricky bit is the work you are doing in NI.

Comment

Working...
                      X