• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH (mostly) for a client in Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It’s the most tax and cost effective way of contracting in Ireland. The tricky bit is the work you are doing in NI.
    It's been proposed by another operation that I work under a UK Umbrella for my stint in NI, then changing to an Irish Umbrella when commuting.

UK umbrella seems rubbish quite frankly - no upfront expenses and Employers NI charged!!

Comment

Originally posted by nedk87 View Post
      Presumably you're working as a Ltd company? I wonder how things should work if my working week will be split between Ireland and the UK....?

Apologies for all these queries on a Forum btw - I'm asking professionals at the minute, but getting inconsistent advice!
      Yes, I work under a ltd. If you are able to do less than the 30 days (over whatever period it is) in Ireland then you have the advantage of not having to worry about IR35 and (to a lesser extent, VAT). That would be the best way to avoid the tax implications. Maybe see about how often they expect to see you in their office once the lockdown ends. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        Yes, I work under a ltd. If you are able to do less than the 30 days (over whatever period it is) in Ireland then you have the advantage of not having to worry about IR35 and (to a lesser extent, VAT). That would be the best way to avoid the tax implications. Maybe see about how often they expect to see you in their office once the lockdown ends. Good luck.
        Thanks very much. Yeah it's difficult to say about time required in the office - I could guarantee <30 days until the end of the end of the Tax year, but very difficult to say for the entire duration of the year contract.

Comment

It's been proposed by another operation that I work under a UK Umbrella for my stint in NI, then changing to an Irish Umbrella when commuting.

UK umbrella seems rubbish quite frankly - no upfront expenses and Employers NI charged!!
          Assuming you can’t travel now due to Covid and don’t know when you will, I would use a UK Ltd and then worry about RoI based work firstly when it starts and secondly when you’re approaching 30 days work in the State.

Comment

There may be something useful here as well.

FAQs: Taxation - Border People

Comment

So I'm due to start work next week under the following arrangement.

- Set up as a Umbrella Director for a company based in Dublin - technically self-employed.
              - Will be WFH in Belfast until Covid is under control, thereafter commuting to Dublin. It remains to be seen how often/frequent it will be.

I'll be taxed at source by the Umbrella, and will then submit a tax return (via. an agent) to the UK at the end of the tax year(s).

I've been offered soft assurances that there will be no significant implications for my take-home pay, but to be honest none of the companies I'm dealing with fill me with confidence.

Any interesting thoughts/opinions out there?

Comment

So I'm due to start work next week under the following arrangement.

- Set up as a Umbrella Director for a company based in Dublin - technically self-employed.
                - Will be WFH in Belfast until Covid is under control, thereafter commuting to Dublin. It remains to be seen how often/frequent it will be.

I'll be taxed at source by the Umbrella, and will then submit a tax return (via. an agent) to the UK at the end of the tax year(s).

I've been offered soft assurances that there will be no significant implications for my take-home pay, but to be honest none of the companies I'm dealing with fill me with confidence.

Any interesting thoughts/opinions out there?
                Umbrella Director? What is that? If you are taxed at source you can't be self employed surely? How do you submit a tax return via an agent? Either you are explaining it very badly or it sounds like a right pot of crap.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Umbrella Director? What is that? If you are taxed at source you can't be self employed surely? How do you submit a tax return via an agent? Either you are explaining it very badly or it sounds like a right pot of crap.
                  Direct umbrella company setup | Icon Accounting - Accountancy Services for Contractors

Comment

On the face of it I don't like the sound of that. I'll kick Lucy out of the shower and get her to come and comment.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      On the face of it I don't like the sound of that. I'll kick Lucy out of the shower and get her to come and comment.
                      Cheers - From a quick scan of similar threads it seems to be recognised by others who have worked in Ireland!

Comment

Working...
                      X