• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH (mostly) for a client in Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smoggy View Post
    If you're moving to the Republic anyway then the Irish based Umbrella probably makes sense but I'd want to be sure that Hmrc were happy that the Irish Revenue were getting first dibs taxing work done in the UK.

If you're not moving for a while keep in mind travel expenses may not be allowed under the Irish Umbrella as your regular place of work would probably be considered the client's office (this is what I was advised anyway).
    This is correct.

There are some allowances for removal expenses and the first three months if moving.

Removal and relocation expenses

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      This is correct.

There are some allowances for removal expenses and the first three months if moving.

Removal and relocation expenses
      Yeah that's fair enough - it's a 1hr 40 commute and I've 'priced in' the expense as such.

Would it be advisable for me to contact HMRC directly to get some clarification on the situation or best work through an accountant/agent? I've one lined up to do my end of year UK return, but not finding them particularly helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by nedk87 View Post
        Yeah that's fair enough - it's a 1hr 40 commute and I've 'priced in' the expense as such.

Would it be advisable for me to contact HMRC directly to get some clarification on the situation or best work through an accountant/agent? I've one lined up to do my end of year UK return, but not finding them particularly helpful.
        Have a look at cross border workers sites as well. There may be the opportunity to declare some work in Irelan dand some in UK depending on location of work and use both sets of tax allowances.

Comment

Working...
        X