• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A1 Certificate for Non-EU Citizen in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1 Certificate for Non-EU Citizen in UK

Hi,

I have a potential contract with a client in Belgium. The agency requested me to apply for an A1 certificate for compliance. Can someone with knowledge in the area clarify below for me?

1. I'm not a British citizen, nor do I have an Indefinite Leave to Remain.
    2. I am the director of the Ltd company - which started trading 19 months ago.
    3. My salary part is under the threshold, which means I haven't been paying 1st class NI contributions.
    4. I have been out of a contract for the last 2-3 months. So no significant trading activity in the recent past.

Am I eligible for an A1 certificate?

If I can get it, can I get a visa to travel to Belgium for work? (I'll be based in the UK, but may have to travel on an ad-hoc basis)

I obviously tried to Google first, but can't find the proper source with all the information I need.

Please help.

Thanks,
    B

Did your agent not provide any help or guidance? I've tended to find that agents that have a specific requirement like this tend to have been through the process plenty of times so worth going back to them and asking them no?

Have you tried the immigration forum as well?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bbp View Post
      Hi,

I have a potential contract with a client in Belgium. The agency requested me to apply for an A1 certificate for compliance. Can someone with knowledge in the area clarify below for me?

1. I'm not a British citizen, nor do I have an Indefinite Leave to Remain.
      2. I am the director of the Ltd company - which started trading 19 months ago.
      3. My salary part is under the threshold, which means I haven't been paying 1st class NI contributions.
      4. I have been out of a contract for the last 2-3 months. So no significant trading activity in the recent past.

Am I eligible for an A1 certificate?

If I can get it, can I get a visa to travel to Belgium for work? (I'll be based in the UK, but may have to travel on an ad-hoc basis)

I obviously tried to Google first, but can't find the proper source with all the information I need.

Please help.

Thanks,
      B
      Your accountant should be able to advise you on NICs, but I'd be surprised if someone who hasn't paid any NICs would be eligible for an A1 Certificate, since it is based on you not paying the equivalent in an EU country due to you already paying them in the UK.

If you're not eligible to work in Belgium then you'll need a working visa and a limosa.

Is the agent you're talking to aware that you are not a British/EU citizen?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You going to bail on the contract you are being paid for doing nothing if you get this?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You going to bail on the contract you are being paid for doing nothing if you get this?
          This is a very long shot.

As many suggested on the post, I am just being cautious in case that one falls out.

Comment

worth going back to them and asking them no?

It was the agent who asked me to find out

They are based in Belgium. Maybe that's the reason they don't have the information ready or just being lazy and passing it on to me to find out.

I'll try the immigration forum as well, thanks.

Comment

Did your agent not provide any help or guidance? I've tended to find that agents that have a specific requirement like this tend to have been through the process plenty of times so worth going back to them and asking them no?

This one?

https://www.immigrationboards.com/in...140318-20.html

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Nope. Can't get me like that... I'm not opening it. Definitely not. I'll just get triggered and it will ruin my night. Not looking.

Comment

Bob Sh4waddiw4ddy was always a good guy!
                  Last edited by Scruff; 18 November 2020, 22:01.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Nope. Can't get me like that... I'm not opening it. Definitely not. I'll just get triggered and it will ruin my night. Not looking.
                    It would be relatively painless.

Comment

Working...
                    X