• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this something to be worried?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like others have said good chance this isn't going to happen now. That really sucks. Depending on the inside contract rate vs your salary now I can understand why you were tempted to take this contract and why it might have been worth the risk. Unfortunately it likely didn't work out for you. It sucks but hey that's life. Hopefully you have some money saved up or can salvage your current perm job.

Comment

Originally posted by helger View Post
      Yes. Your grammar is terrible.

Other than that: Welcome To The Wonderful World Of Contracting (tm).
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        A clearly concerned member of our community comes on here looking for advice and the usual bitter suspects/lifers hammer him for it. Terrible tone on this site.

OP, I was in a contract once and interviewed and accepted another contract. However, the agent was doing the same thing as is happening to you, think it lasted about 3 weeks. He did however come good and I started the role and made a killing. I don't know if this helps but it's a different perspective. Good luck.
        Even in good times leaving a safe permie job and taking up a contract is risky and might mean a few mo the on bench. We are talking the biggest recession ever, pandemic, ghost towns , high unemployment figures and not to mention IR35 in April. Who in their sane mind would think of jumping into contracting? The mind boggles.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by helger View Post
          Now the agent is saying he cannot issue the contract at the moment, as he is awaiting approval from the client. He assured me that everything is ok, he just needs to wait for the approval from the client before he could issue the contract. He kept saying this for more than a week now, and it is only one week for the start date..

My experience is a lot of companies are managed by people who are terrible at managing their work load. Especially if you report to accountants or finance people, where the world stops if its time to do some accounts. Be chill, but if don't turn down any potential opportunities / interviews.

Comment

A clearly concerned member of our community comes on here looking for advice and the usual bitter suspects/lifers hammer him for it. Terrible tone on this site.
            Could be worse.. You could give him some advice...
            OP, I was in a contract once and interviewed and accepted another contract. However, the agent was doing the same thing as is happening to you, think it lasted about 3 weeks. He did however come good and I started the role and made a killing. I don't know if this helps but it's a different perspective. Good luck.
            Cool story bro.

OP.. Assume you won't get it and start looking for something or trying to get back in the your employer. If the role appears then good, if it does then you've not wasted any time waiting for it.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 22 November 2020, 17:18.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I presume you were going from a permanent role to your first contract in a middle of a global pandemic????
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Even in good times leaving a safe permie job and taking up a contract is risky and might mean a few mo the on bench. We are talking the biggest recession ever, pandemic, ghost towns , high unemployment figures and not to mention IR35 in April. Who in their sane mind would think of jumping into contracting? The mind boggles.
                We haven't heard enough of the details to know if it was sane decision or not.

If the OP is young and living with their parents and has no bills, has some cash saved up and was going from 30k a year permie to 500/day inside then it would be worth the risk even if there is a good chance it might not happen.

You guys love to make these blanket statements but not everyone's situation is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  We haven't heard enough of the details to know if it was sane decision or not.

If the OP is young and living with their parents and has no bills, has some cash saved up and was going from 30k a year permie to 500/day inside then it would be worth the risk even if there is a good chance it might not happen.

You guys love to make these blanket statements but not everyone's situation is the same.
                  Isn’t that kinda the point though?
                  People come here to know what we would/did do in similar circumstances.

Some of us might have done things that with hindsight were dumb. Quite often that hindsight informs the suggestions provided.

Only the OP knows their own circumstances. We don’t have that context though.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Isn’t that kinda the point though?
                    People come here to know what we would/did do in similar circumstances.

Some of us might have done things that with hindsight were dumb. Quite often that hindsight informs the suggestions provided.

Only the OP knows their own circumstances. We don’t have that context though.
                    fair enough, good point.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I presume you were going from a permanent role to your first contract in a middle of a global pandemic????
                      No I haven't but the OP has done what they have done. Advice can be given without making the OP feels worse than they likely already do.

Comment

Working...
                      X