• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this something to be worried?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    You guys love to make these blanket statements..
    Originally posted by helger View Post
    Any comments are welcomed.
    Guess he's happy, then.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Who started the background check? Client ?
      The agent started the background check via a 3rd party screening company, which is completed now and no problem from it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why on God's earth are you quitting a perm role in the middle of a pandemic with no end in site and a massive IR35 change on its way?
        This is an inside IR35 contract, so IR35 change is not applicable here.

I was tempted by the inside contract rate vs my salary, hence the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          OP, I was in a contract once and interviewed and accepted another contract. However, the agent was doing the same thing as is happening to you, think it lasted about 3 weeks. He did however come good and I started the role and made a killing. I don't know if this helps but it's a different perspective. Good luck.
          Did you do anything in those 3 weeks? In particular, do you think if it helps to chase up the agent on a daily basis? In addition, I could try to contact the hiring manager at the client side directly via LinkedIn to understand what happened, but I am not sure if this is the right thing to do, or does it help at all?

Comment

..do you think if it helps to chase up the agent on a daily basis? In addition, I could try to contact the hiring manager at the client side directly via LinkedIn to understand what happened,
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              No I haven't but the OP has done what they have done. Advice can be given without making the OP feels worse than they likely already do.
              what is this? Counselling services?
              It would surely reduce the number of posters if all posts have to be sugar coated.
              We'd need more mods than contributors.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This is an inside IR35 contract, so IR35 change is not applicable here.

I was tempted by the inside contract rate vs my salary, hence the decision.
                I don't think anyone thought anything else but that's very short termist. You don't earn anything when you are on the bench looking for work. Comparing contracting gigs vs perm based purely on rate/wage isn't a great way to go about it. The smart contracts are snaffling up the good perm gigs at the moment and hankering down for a couple of years while the market steadies.

IR35 itself isn't but the turmoil in the market with gigs being converted to inside, lack of roles and instability in our industry will. There are going to be many thousands of people hitting the benches so work is going to be very difficult to get for some. All that could affect you regardless of the status of the role.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 23 November 2020, 09:37.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had this for my first contract, and it did come through, but it took 2 months.

There are (at least) two valuable lessons here, and I wouldn't blame you for not knowing this

1) Everything happens quickly in the recruiting process until it's out of your control - so you'll be expected to turn up to interviews 'later today', but everything after that takes forever. No agent wants to push a client too hard, remember the client is their customer and leads to more work for them than you ever will

2) Nothing, nothing is final until you're sat at their desk (or WFH'ing!) and you've submitted an invoice even!

How you negotiate this when you've got a perm job is tricky. You could negotiate your start date so that you have no gaps and end up losing out. Or you can take it on the chin and wait, and not get paid.

If you can get through this period, when the money comes in it'll all be forgotten about.

Do one thing though - and this goes for all contractors - keep looking and interviewing until you pass the "sat at their desk or WFHing" test. The agent doesn't need to know, tell them you're just waiting for this one to start. No one is responsible for your Plan B but you. I even do this at renewal, no matter how 'certain' or verbally agreed - until the contract comes through. I've trusted before and got the loss of money scars to show for it!
                  Last edited by PerfectStorm; 23 November 2020, 10:10.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

as other have said, I'd be slightly worried now, although it may still happen. Happened to me a few times, where the contract did eventually turn up.
                    Not sure it's worth chasing the agent every day, as they'll just string you along anyway. Agents will say anything to keep you happy / get you off the phone.
                    Contacting the hiring manager smells of desperation, and will probably just annoy them.

your choices are:
                    1. see if you can cancel your resignation from permie job
                    2. start looking for other contracts
                    3. wait for this contract, which may or may not happen.

Comment

OP, did you tell the agency you were going to quit your perm job for this contract? If so, although there is not much you can do about it (legally), you could at least see if you can find that rare agent with some conscience and see if they find out what is really going on.

Comment

Working...
                      X