• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this something to be worried?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There isn't but it's not a bad assumption you'll fare better as a perm than a contractor in these times. Contractors will be going first before the perms so naturally perm is 'safer'. Many exceptions to the rule of course.
    Permies can get redundancy payments if they have been there long enough.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There isn't but it's not a bad assumption you'll fare better as a perm than a contractor in these times. Contractors will be going first before the perms so naturally perm is 'safer'. Many exceptions to the rule of course.
      This year for the pandemic and in all organisation restructures I've experienced in my career the same thing has happened: contractors go first, then MAYBE a small number of perms go. So yes, being a perm is definitely safer, always, in any circumstances.

All these folks in here shouting crap like there's no such thing as safe permie role technically they may be correct, but in practice they have no clue about what happens in real life.

OP, see if you can get your permie job back and try it again in 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Permies can get redundancy payments if they have been there long enough.
        Yeah stat redundancy pay is such a small amount though. Most of us bill more in a month than the max stat redundancy payment (which only a very very small percentage of people would qualify for anyway, most are likely to get a payment between 500-2000)

My current client made about 1/5 of their head office staff redundant (even though they haven't suffered a drop in revenue). My wife's company got rid of 1/3 across the whole company (they lost about half their revenue). All permies. To be fair I was the only contractor kept on at my current client and I think my wifes they got rid of most and just held onto a couple so yeah it's valid that contractors are probably going at higher % but there are very few safe jobs right now in private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Yeah stat redundancy pay is such a small amount though. Most of us bill more in a month than the max stat redundancy payment (which only a very very small percentage of people would qualify for anyway, most are likely to get a payment between 500-2000)

My current client made about 1/5 of their head office staff redundant (even though they haven't suffered a drop in revenue). My wife's company got rid of 1/3 across the whole company (they lost about half their revenue). All permies. To be fair I was the only contractor kept on at my current client and I think my wifes they got rid of most and just held onto a couple so yeah it's valid that contractors are probably going at higher % but there are very few safe jobs right now in private sector.
          Lots of the companies I know who have made people redundant this year and in previous recessions have paid out more than statutory. Some because they want volunteers, and others because they knew their process was unfair.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why on God's earth are you quitting a perm role in the middle of a pandemic with no end in site and a massive IR35 change on its way?
            why on earth you are leaving perm position without written and signed contract at least?

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
              why on earth you are leaving perm position without written and signed contract at least?
              But even thet means nothing if the role evaporates. Even if the agent had sent him a contract to sign he'd ve in no better position.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Honestly? Assume you don't have the role and jeep applying for other ones. Then you never know, this one may come good.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Agency starting background check and not the bank is a bit odd. Did the background check notify you who their client was?
                  No, the client is not mentioned anywhere in the background check process.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Start the Disclosurescotland now, will take 3 weeks and agent won’t ask you to do this before background checks complete, where you will ask , will did you not ask me this weeks ago
                    Many thanks for this insight. DBS is part of the background check, which is completed now. That is why the whole background check took a while to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
                      The agent said before that nothing is pending from the client side, but they could only issue the contract upon the completion of the background check. That is why the background check was started.

Part of the background check was verifying my current employment details, which meant that I had to hand in my notice.

It is the fact that the agent is still awaiting for the client's sign off after completing the background check made me uneasy...
                      Last edited by helger; 24 November 2020, 19:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X