• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this something to be worried?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helger View Post
    The agent said nothing is pending from the client side before, but they could only issue the contract upon the completion of the background check. That is why the background check was started.

Part of the background check was verifying my current employment details, which means I have to hand in my notice.

It is that after the completion of the background check, the agent is still awaiting for the client's sign off made me uneasy...
    What on earth made you think you needed to quit your job in order for them to verify your current employment??

waiting for client sign off means waiting for client to agree you’re the right person. They could easily have filled the role already but the agent doesn’t want to tell you.

Have you withdrawn your notice yet?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      What on earth made you think you needed to quit your job in order for them to verify your current employment??

waiting for client sign off means waiting for client to agree you’re the right person. They could easily have filled the role already but the agent doesn’t want to tell you.

Have you withdrawn your notice yet?
      The general practice is that when HR receives a verification request from a background screening company, she would inform the manager of the person being verified.

So my manager would know my intention anyway, but he would not be impressed to know it in this way.

As a result, I had to hand in my notice before HR informed him. Am I missing anything here?

I have not withdrawn the notice, as it won't look good if this opportunity goes through (finger crossed) and then hand in another notice..

Comment

The general practice is that when HR receives a verification request from a background screening company, she would inform the manager of the person being verified.

So my manager would know my intention anyway, but he would not be impressed to know it in this way.

As a result, I had to hand in my notice before HR informed him. Am I missing anything here?

I have not withdrawn the notice, as it won't look good if this opportunity goes through (finger crossed) and then hand in another notice..
        Given the client has gone on radio silence I'm not sure crossing your fingers is enough
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Given the client has gone on radio silence I'm not sure crossing your fingers is enough
          Exactly, that is why I would like to have a frank conversation with the agent to understand what happened. So I could figure out the likelihood of going through, and my next step.

Unfortunately, the agent is not helpful other than stating everything is good, it just took sometime for the client to sign off etc etc. It is such a response made me uneasy...
          Last edited by helger; 25 November 2020, 00:28.

Comment

Exactly, that is why I would like to have a frank conversion with the agent to understand what happened. So I could figure out the likelihood of going through, and my next step.

Unfortunately, the agent is not helpful other than stating everything is good, it is just took sometime for the client to sign off etc etc. It is such a response made me uneasy...
            This activity does not make the agent money therefore the agent will not be doing it. They are out to line their pockets, not help you when there is nothing in it for them I am afraid.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Agency starting background check and not the bank is a bit odd. Did the background check notify you who their client was?
              Not odd in my experience. Had an agency do the checks for both banking and water. Water is even stricter than banking, where they want urine tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Unfortunately, the agent is not helpful other than stating everything is good, it just took sometime for the client to sign off etc etc. It is such a response made me uneasy...
                Suggestion for you: Create a Poll on here asking people how many times agents have told them "everything is good", only for the contract never to materialise.

Comment

Oh yes.....
                  You have missed something indeed.
                  You quit before you had somewhere else to go.

In my experience very few HR departments will inform a line manager.
                  In my experience you’re far better off talking to your line manager before you do anything anyway.
                  In my experience not many background checks start this early.

Daft question. Did the agent ask you for two references and your current employer was one of them hence why you quit?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

In my experience you’re far better off talking to your line manager before you do anything anyway.
                    I did talk to my line manager to tell him of my intention to leave for a contractor role before handing in the notice.

Do you think how I could handle it better?

Daft question. Did the agent ask you for two references and your current employer was one of them hence why you quit?
                    No. It was requested by the 3rd party screening company for verifying the current and previous employments officially.

Comment

I did talk to my line manager to tell him of my intention to leave for a contractor role before handing in the notice.

Do you think how I could handle it better?
                      Not hand in your notice until you had sight of a contract to sign.

No. It was requested by the 3rd party screening company for verifying the current and previous employments officially.
                      Are you saying that the 3rd party screen company said you had to resign your position before they would screen you? Or did the agent?
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 25 November 2020, 15:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X