• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to begin to work with (bigger) clients directly and not thru an agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you weren't introduced to the contract through an agent and the client doesn't have some sort of exclusive relationship where they are required to use an agent for all of their PSCs then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go direct and in fact in every case that's happened to me (twice) I have just billed the client directly.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      If you weren't introduced to the contract through an agent and the client doesn't have some sort of exclusive relationship where they are required to use an agent for all of their PSCs then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go direct and in fact in every case that's happened to me (twice) I have just billed the client directly.
      But just those first two factors reduces the opportunities to next to nothing. They describe a vast majority of contractor engagments.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A few, mostly bigger consultancies, companies have contracts advertised on their websites. If you're happy to accept 90 days payment terms (which you will have to chase) you may try these.
        And remember these consultancies may pay you 600 per day, but their clients pay 1800 per day for your services, so will your next step be chase those clients for direct contracts and charge 1800 yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But just those first two factors reduces the opportunities to next to nothing. They describe a vast majority of contractor engagments.
          Yes, it's not really something you can seek out. The opportunity is either there or it isn't. Most of the time it isn't so no need to worry about it.

Comment

Yes, it's not really something you can seek out. The opportunity is either there or it isn't. Most of the time it isn't so no need to worry about it.
            Yep. That's true. Just making the point for the OP that's new to all this.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's very different then what OP is talking about. A full service supplier will charge way more than 16%, their gross margin is more likely 40-60%.
              If you want to go direct yo will almost certainly have to satisfy the client's purchasing department that you are a good commercial risk. Hence all the due diligence questions. Most are easily answered, of course, but you need to expect them and have provable answers.

That is why I was trying to answer the question posed about "..what are the further issues..."
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's less hassle for a client to deal with one or two agencies than 30 or 40 seperate contractors. If you go direct what's in it for the client?
                The client will expect a significant discount and then you're back to where you started.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It's less hassle for a client to deal with one or two agencies than 30 or 40 seperate contractors. If you go direct what's in it for the client?
                  The client will expect a significant discount and then you're back to where you started.
                  Urban myth, likely originating with an agency somewhere along the line. The average big company has hundreds of suppliers on its books and thousands of invoices to process, from major internationals down to three cleaners in a van. A few extras aren't going to bother anyone.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Urban myth, likely originating with an agency somewhere along the line. The average big company has hundreds of suppliers on its books and thousands of invoices to process, from major internationals down to three cleaners in a van. A few extras aren't going to bother anyone.
                    There might be a few hoops to jump through but most companies don't have problems adding new suppliers.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      There might be a few hoops to jump through but most companies don't have problems adding new suppliers.
                      That’s what I thought.
                      But my public sector client, for whom I have two distinct pieces of work, and has provided an outside determination, still wants to run it though an agency.

I think the agency gets another 2% on top of my day rate.

I don’t have a problem with the agency, it’s not my money being skimmed as I’m getting my quoted rate on the SOWs.
                      It’s just a pain in the arse using their self billing system. At the end of phase 1 I’ll have to submit 4 or 5 x 7 day timesheets in one go as their systems are tulip.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X