• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to begin to work with (bigger) clients directly and not thru an agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    Ah I see.
    Totally on the case then!
    I cannot think of anyone who can help in my networks off top of head unfortunately.
    I will have a better think.
    Good luck!
    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I've offered people in my network a grand for a successful referral of PMs and BAs. Problem is I'm in digital health and everyone is busy with Covid. Am based in Dublin but open to remote working (obviously) for the next few months.
      At least it's a good problem to have and in a long term growth sector.

A relative of mine has taken 5 or 6 years to get to this stage with several associates (his services are in PR and marketing, mainly to tech companies.) He has more potential work than he can deliver but is very selective about who he uses. He's picked up a couple of people who used to work in the events industry which has been decimated by Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        At least it's a good problem to have and in a long term growth sector.

A relative of mine has taken 5 or 6 years to get to this stage with several associates (his services are in PR and marketing, mainly to tech companies.) He has more potential work than he can deliver but is very selective about who he uses. He's picked up a couple of people who used to work in the events industry which has been decimated by Covid.
        I'd rather grow slowly and sustainably with the right people than throw in anyone I can make a cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I'd rather grow slowly and sustainably with the right people than throw in anyone I can make a cut off.
          Good plan.

You also need a critical mass to really be seen as a true supplier/consultancy. It used to be about 6 people, not sure what it might be now.

Comment

I used to work direct with a large pharma company. I was working a niche and they needed me. I ran the contract as a business though, with a couple of part time workers helping me as it was 24x7 365 support contract. There was more admin that came with it and getting paid was a pain EVERY time. They had me on 60 day terms on the 5th of the month - so if the 60 days ended on the 6th, then they would pay it on the next upcoming 5th - so up to 3 months for an invoice to be paid. I always had to chase it too. It was very good money, but a pain as well.

My current gig pays me every Friday through an agency, much easier.

Comment

You are paying the agency 16% to outsource your sales & ongoing customer retention/admin to them. They are also factoring your invoice.

Factoring 90 days is not cheap. Salesmen are not cheap.

I think learning business fundamentals before moving on to client acquisition & ongoing servicing et al is needed here.

Comment

Working...
              X