Working with German customers in 2021, is it possible? Working with German customers in 2021, is it possible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Working with German customers in 2021, is it possible?

    Hello!

    Is there someone working with German agencies through their own limited in UK?

    I got told that some of the agencies are not going to work with Limited’s after the 31st of Dec.

    Has anyone else with the same problem thought about solutions?

    Thank you!

  2. #2

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,975

    Default

    Truthful answer - we don't know as we don't know what rules apply from 1st January.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Londonup View Post
    Hello!

    Is there someone working with German agencies through their own limited in UK?

    I got told that some of the agencies are not going to work with Limited’s after the 31st of Dec.

    Has anyone else with the same problem thought about solutions?

    Thank you!
    This is a bit of headscratcher, because more information is required.

    Are your agencies based in the UK or Germany?

    If your agency / umbrella is based in Germany, check if they have a UK office or any official presence in the UK

    Is your end client in Germany? I will assume yes, do they have a UK office or presence in the UK

    You need to consider payment supply chains, I think. Check if companies are owned or part owned by bigger companies.

    Essentially, if your UK Limited company is the ONLY legal entity in the UK (obviously with an "office" and presence) then you are not PAYE and therefore your LTD may be paid outside IR35. The rest of payment supply chain is foreign (but hey you need to prove that irrevocably)

    I would discuss with tax specialists and advisors.

  4. #4

    Fingers like lightning

    GigiBronz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    on the run
    Posts
    621

    Default

    I think the main issue would be dispute resolution and VAT payments. Where would someone in the supply chain go if there is a dispute? What would stop one of the parties getting nasty and not paying the other when they know there might be no consequences for it?

    One more month and we'll find out...

  5. #5

    Default

    German regulators are making all EMI’s setup German companies to offer services in Germany (pain the arse process) might be same for agencies


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you for the answers.

    Normally the agencies are located in Germany, I have asked a couple of agencies and some of them will continue working with UK limiteds and some others not...

    I see 3 different options:

    • Keep working through UK limited - Best case.
    • Create a Branch in Germany of my UK limited, BUT it depends on the Brexit output Because maybe they are not recognise as a companies anymore.
    • Create a company in Germany (I have EU passport), but this option implies paying 2x accountants, etc..


    If anyone has a better one, I would love to hear it!

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Londonup View Post
    Thank you for the answers.

    Normally the agencies are located in Germany, I have asked a couple of agencies and some of them will continue working with UK limiteds and some others not...

    I see 3 different options:

    • Keep working through UK limited - Best case.
    • Create a Branch in Germany of my UK limited, BUT it depends on the Brexit output Because maybe they are not recognise as a companies anymore.
    • Create a company in Germany (I have EU passport), but this option implies paying 2x accountants, etc..


    If anyone has a better one, I would love to hear it!
    Freiberufler status is also an option. A local steuerberater (accountant) would be helpful to ensure your application to the Finanzamt is presented correctly. There is an old post against my profile describing my experience working in Germany.

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lecyclist View Post
    Freiberufler status is also an option. A local steuerberater (accountant) would be helpful to ensure your application to the Finanzamt is presented correctly. There is an old post against my profile describing my experience working in Germany.
    Would like to read that old post but can only see 2 previous posts when accessing your profile?

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    Would like to read that old post but can only see 2 previous posts when accessing your profile?
    Try this thread perhaps?

    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...inter-gig.html

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    19,659

    Default

    A couple of things have changed since then, primarily Brexit which means no freedom of movement and ANÜ which is similar to IR35
    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •