• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depression diagnosed - do I tell the client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression diagnosed - do I tell the client?

Hi, this is for a contractor friend, not myself but they have just been diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
    They have asked for advice regarding whether or not to tell the hiring manager about this.

Obviously there are concerns regarding the lack of protection for contractors and the renewal, or not, of their contract.
    On the other hand, if the client knows, they can make allowances and provide support where necessary during the journey to recovery.

If anyone has any constructive thoughts about the best course that would be great.
    It feels like the decision will largely be driven by how supportive the client might be expected to be.

They will be having a couple of weeks holiday over Christmas so the decision can be delayed until after that at least.

It feels like the decision will largely be driven by how supportive the client might be expected to be.
    Pretty much what I was coming to say and it's really the million-dollar question. The other aspect is how much he expects his work to be affected.

I didn't have much choice cos it was happening anyway, but I needed substantial time off for my son to have some serious heart surgery. I didn't really know how it'd work out, so in the nicest of ways I had to say "I'll come back when I can if you'll keep the position open, but either way I'm gone for an indeterminate amount of time and won't be responding to anything technical no matter how important".

Anyway, moral being they were absolutely amazing - I had 7 weeks off in the end, and they were good as gold and extremely supportive.

Comment

This is what right of substitution is for surely????

In reality it depends on the client. Only the interested person knows this though. If client is public sector they will be more likely to be sympathetic.
      Note that clients still have a duty of care, which they should take seriously.

Some clients could even terminate for not telling them about this sort of thing. It could also impact SC clearance.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Sorry for your friend.

How good is their relationship with the client? Has their work been affected / aspects of it commented on while they were suffering undiagnosed?

I'm assuming they now have some medication to help. They need to see how that affects them and their ability to work, so the couple of weeks off over Christmas is a blessing as they'll get used to it before having to go back.

Do they know what support they will need from the client? This is going to be a difficult one to answer with a new diagnosis but there are lots of small things that will be helpful - such as being cut a bit of slack when they're having a particularly bad day, making the manager/team (depends on how sharing they want to be) aware that there may be mood swings, etc. Are there topics of conversation they'd prefer to avoid when chatting around the water cooler? Or, would they just like to be treated 'as normal' (whatever normal is..).

Comment

Tricky situation.

As an employee it's very clear that the best idea is likely to tell your employer. You'll find most are accommodating.

As a business deciding whether to tell your client is trickier. It really would be on a case by case basis. How new is the client? how much is it going to impact ability to deliver for the client? As already mentioned can you find a substitute if you think there will be a measurable impact? How accommodating might the client be? How replaceable/in demand is your skillset? Etc.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder and went through 18 months with almost daily panic attacks... worked through the whole thing. It was the most unproductive time of my life, luckily this was in my permie days and my employer was incredibly supportive. I didn't deliver anything of significance during this 18 months. If I was a contractor I would have had my contract terminated within a month whether I had told them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
            Hi, this is for a contractor friend, not myself but they have just been diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
            They have asked for advice regarding whether or not to tell the hiring manager about this.

Obviously there are concerns regarding the lack of protection for contractors and the renewal, or not, of their contract.
            On the other hand, if the client knows, they can make allowances and provide support where necessary during the journey to recovery.

If anyone has any constructive thoughts about the best course that would be great.

They will be having a couple of weeks holiday over Christmas so the decision can be delayed until after that at least.
            If they tell the client be prepared for a period of unemployment!

Comment

First off, I hope your friend is getting the help they need, I am truly sorry they are going through that.

Unfortunately it's probably the fastest way to find out the difference between you being an employee, and a business service they are paying for.

And lets face it, there never used to be employee protections in place, companies would treat employees like that if they could too. (and there are plenty of ways they do still try and get rid of people).

To your specific question of should they tell them?

I don't think they'll truly know how they will treat themuntil it happens. While the immediate humans may well be sympathetic, too much time off a contract is going to lead to either being let go, or simply not renewed.

Even if they only had minimal time off because of it, they may see the "risk" as too much, and just not renew them at the end of the contract.

If possible, I would only tell them IF the need to take time off happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
                If they're able to continue work effectively and it isn't making them sicker, then no. If it's affecting their work, they need to tell the hiring manager before they're canned for being ineffective. If it's making their sicker, they should definitely tell the hiring manager they need time off.

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                As an employee it's very clear that the best idea is likely to tell your employer.
                They are not their employer. They still have a duty of care, but it's not as great as that of permies.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  If they're able to continue work effectively and it isn't making them sicker, then no. If it's affecting their work, they need to tell the hiring manager before they're canned for being ineffective. If it's making their sicker, they should definitely tell the hiring manager they need time off.

They are not their employer. They still have a duty of care, but it's not as great as that of permies.
                  Yeah that was my point. Just probably didn't communicate it well. I went through similar situation as permie and employer was incredibly accommodating, probably more than they should have been definitely more than I expected. But as a b2b relationship that won't be the case. Of course there is still a human on the other side so you really never know. I probably wouldn't tell them unless I needed to take time off for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Yeah that was my point. Just probably didn't communicate it well. I went through similar situation as permie and employer was incredibly accommodating, probably more than they should have been definitely more than I expected. But as a b2b relationship that won't be the case. Of course there is still a human on the other side so you really never know. I probably wouldn't tell them unless I needed to take time off for it.
                    Are they slow declining over a period of time? Or will they drop off suddenly? In the former situation, you can give some warning that performance and productivity are suffering. The client can make alternative plans. With the latter question, suddenly no one know in their team what has gone on. I would go with empathy here in a team situation. Especially right now, people can understand lot more about mental health, since we should be more aware of severe difficulties in a home situation.

Think of all the people going through marriage difficulties, divorce and wanting separation and can't do it right now for obvious reasons and also that recent stat from news on dosmestic abuse in the home for 2020.

Make sure your friend gets counselling, professional help and that will help with eventual sign-off or medical note, if required. I believe lots of companies will be supportive in the short-term.

Comment

Working...
                    X