• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pesky recruiters?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pesky recruiters?

At the moment I find myself in the same position as many others out there. Seriously depressed market. However, the recruiters haven't gone away it just seems like I'm getting a lot of what can only be described as annoying speculative calls from them. They'll call you up, say they've got a role and wouldn't mind talking, asking what you're doing and when you're available blah blah but it all pretty much amounts to nothing. They'll go away and that's it, there's clearly nothing on offer. The better recruiters will say I just wanted to catch up haven't spoken in awhile. Fair enough. But making up pretend roles is pure garbage and an absolute waste of everyones time. I'm an anti-social prick and I don't like talking unless there's a very good and specific purpose for it.

Gets to a point where you feeling like a lamp post waiting for the next dog to cock it's leg up to try and claim you.

Anyone got a ninja approach to filtering out the time wasting / speculative BS.
    Last edited by ApeShape; 18 December 2020, 15:00.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    At the moment I find myself in the same position as many others out there. Seriously depressed market. However, the recruiters haven't gone away it just seems like I'm getting a lot of what can only be described as annoying speculative calls from them. They'll call you up, say they've got a role and wouldn't mind talking, asking what you're doing and when you're available blah blah but it all pretty much amounts to nothing. They'll go away and that's it, there's clearly nothing on offer. The better recruiters will say I just wanted to catch up haven't spoken in awhile. Fair enough. But making up pretend roles is pure garbage and an absolute waste of everyones time. I'm an anti-social prick and I don't like talking unless there's a very good and specific purpose for it.

Gets to a point where you feeling like a lamp post waiting for the next dog to cock it's leg up to try and claim you.

Anyone got a ninja approach to filtering out the time wasting / speculative BS.
    I always used to claim that I was quite busy and ask them to pop me an email with the details. This would filter about 40% out as they would not email. Another 40% would be roles that were totally unsuitable (wrong skills, impossible location, idiotic rate,) with only 20% worth me handling.

All recruiters lie to candidates on the phone, its a fact of life we have to work with. What recruiters absolutely hate is having to write things and will only write to you if something is in it for them.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

as above,say your off to a meeting -drop me a text or email - that gets rid of 1/2 of them. the fact your meeting is with the toaster is none of their business.

on a positive note im getting more calls for Jan starts than any month this year. good luck.
      Last edited by Aloha1; 18 December 2020, 17:52.

Comment

The only thing worse than pesky recruiters phoning you is no recruiters calling you at all.

The fact they are calling you means you have some marketable skills and experience.

If no one is calling you anymore it means you need to retrain or find another line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          The only thing worse than pesky recruiters phoning you is no recruiters calling you at all.

The fact they are calling you means you have some marketable skills and experience.

If no one is calling you anymore it means you need to retrain or find another line of work.
          awww. Bless.....
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Good call

Or you need to update your cv, try new sources of contracts.

Comment

Working...
            X