• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent FTC or inside ir35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent FTC or inside ir35?

This is a bit hypothetical, but I'm applying for a role that is advertised as an 8 month FTC. As in, I'm an employee with just an 8 month term.

I figure if I get through to the interview stages, I will ask about continuing to work under my ltd company, instead of being a short term permie.

Is there any benefit either way of being inside ir35 or not? I guess with the permanent position I'd have pension, holiday, etc, but would it be worth pushing to remain contracting even inside ir35?

Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by FreakShow View Post
    This is a bit hypothetical, but I'm applying for a role that is advertised as an 8 month FTC. As in, I'm an employee with just an 8 month term.

I figure if I get through to the interview stages, I will ask about continuing to work under my ltd company, instead of being a short term permie.

Is there any benefit either way of being inside ir35 or not? I guess with the permanent position I'd have pension, holiday, etc, but would it be worth pushing to remain contracting even inside ir35?

Thanks for any input.
    if you're an FTC you won't have the option to use your LTD.
    Any why would you want to anyway? There's no benefit at all.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      if you're an FTC you won't have the option to use your LTD.
      Any why would you want to anyway? There's no benefit at all.
      Well, the role is opened as a FTC, but I'm of the mind to ask whether it could actually be an 8 month contracting position instead.

Comment

Well, the role is opened as a FTC, but I'm of the mind to ask whether it could actually be an 8 month contracting position instead.
        I assume they would still tax you at source so seems a bit pointless. I suspect your really asking can I get them to pay me outside of ir35 for this gig and let you make your own ir35 assessment.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
          I assume they would still tax you at source so seems a bit pointless. I suspect your really asking can I get them to pay me outside of ir35 for this gig and let you make your own ir35 assessment.
          Which will be a complete no and probably reason enough for them to move on to the next candidate.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Too much of a hassle for the employer. And by asking the question you will reduce your chances of getting the role. I would just take it as is (if nothing else in the pipeline), it's only 8 months, but with holidays pension plan etc.

Comment

Permanent FTC? What's one of those when it's at home?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's an employment contract offer but with a fixed end date and a few restrictions around redundancy and pension rights. It is not a contract in the sense you are using.

No way will it become one - if they wanted a contractor they would be hiring one. I've spoken to several companies offering FTCs and none would consider using a contractor instead: mainly, it has to be said, because HR teams simply fear claims of excess taxation and/or employment rights.

Also I suspect the rate on offer will not cover that for an equivalent contract.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  No way will it become one - if they wanted a contractor they would be hiring one.
                  Things might have changed but FTCs used to be when they wanted a contractor but are trying to get them on the cheap when the market is tulip

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Things might have changed but FTCs used to be when they wanted a contractor but are trying to get them on the cheap when the market is tulip
                    Yeah exactly... FTC is usually flexibility of a contractor at perm rates.

If they are doing an FTC it's probably because that's what they have budget for. If you need a contractor and market rates are 500 but you only have budget for 300 just list it as FTC for 60,000.

If they were to convert it to inside contract I doubt they will give you that 200 a day uplift... They'll likely keep it so they have same cost and you will net similar.

Comment

Working...
                    X