• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent FTC or inside ir35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Yeah exactly... FTC is usually flexibility of a contractor at perm rates.

If they are doing an FTC it's probably because that's what they have budget for. If you need a contractor and market rates are 500 but you only have budget for 300 just list it as FTC for 60,000.

If they were to convert it to inside contract I doubt they will give you that 200 a day uplift... They'll likely keep it so they have same cost and you will net similar.
    You don't properly understand the cost of employment. In a technical role, £300 a day to the worker is around £500-600 to the company, slightly less for FTCs but not much. Lack of budget is not the issue. Fear of (non-existent) consequences of using external contractors is the main one. Legal and insurance cover for man-management or commercially risky roles is another.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You don't properly understand the cost of employment. In a technical role, £300 a day to the worker is around £500-600 to the company, slightly less for FTCs but not much. Lack of budget is not the issue. Fear of (non-existent) consequences of using external contractors is the main one. Legal and insurance cover for man-management or commercially risky roles is another.
      Come April those consequences may no longer be non-existent. That is what most companies are working on the basis of and why I'm implementing what I'm currently working on.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Please show me your calculation for 100% markup on employment that exists in FTC that doesn't exist in inside ir35 contract.

Pension = 3%
        Employer NI = 13.8%
        Apprenticeship Levy = 0.5% (Not always applicable)
        Leave = 12.7% (33 days on average although minimum legal entitlement is 28 days so could be 10.8%)
        Benefits package = 1% (Assuming 600 per annum health benefit package per 60k FTC salary)

That is a grand total of 31%. Could be as low as 28.6%

There are a lot of costs associated with employment that apply to both FTC and inside ir35 contract those are:
        Recruitment fees
        Any overheads
        Management/training
        IT/office Equipment/User Licensing

Those last all apply to all inside ir35 contracts and all FTCs so you cant consider them when making a comparison.

Comment

Please show me your calculation for 100% markup on employment that exists in FTC that doesn't exist in inside ir35 contract.

Pension = 3%
          Employer NI = 13.8%
          Apprenticeship Levy = 0.5% (Not always applicable)
          Leave = 12.7% (33 days on average although minimum legal entitlement is 28 days so could be 10.8%)
          Benefits package = 1% (Assuming 600 per annum health benefit package per 60k FTC salary)

That is a grand total of 31%. Could be as low as 28.6%

There are a lot of costs associated with employment that apply to both FTC and inside ir35 contract those are:
          Recruitment fees
          Any overheads
          Management/training
          IT/office Equipment/User Licensing

Those last all apply to all inside ir35 contracts and all FTCs so you cant consider them when making a comparison.
          Management overheads, office space ...

There are a whole host of things that you need to cover the cost of for employees that don't exist for contractors who you can usually leave to it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Management overheads, office space ...

There are a whole host of things that you need to cover the cost of for employees that don't exist for contractors who you can usually leave to it.
            Please tell me how recasting a Fixed term contract as inside ir35 will eliminate those costs.

Do you ask the inside ir35 contractor to pay for your overheads? your office space?

Comment

Yeah exactly... FTC is usually flexibility of a contractor at perm rates.

If they are doing an FTC it's probably because that's what they have budget for. If you need a contractor and market rates are 500 but you only have budget for 300 just list it as FTC for 60,000.

If they were to convert it to inside contract I doubt they will give you that 200 a day uplift... They'll likely keep it so they have same cost and you will net similar.
              From what I've seen the above is wrong. FTCs are not used to get contractors in. It's a temporary perm position. There is very little correlation between FTCs and contracting even inside IR35.

Budgets often come out of different pots for FTCs than contingents and they are used to fulfil different requirements.

Trying to compare or argue the two is pointless.

There maybe companies that use FTC to get contignets in I'm sure but it's not the norm.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                From what I've seen the above is wrong. FTCs are not used to get contractors in. It's a temporary perm position. There is very little correlation between FTCs and contracting even inside IR35.

Budgets often come out of different pots for FTCs than contingents and they are used to fulfil different requirements.

Trying to compare or argue the two is pointless.

There maybe companies that use FTC to get contignets in I'm sure but it's not the norm.
                That makes sense.

The only real knowledge I have there is when my wife did a maternity cover FTC. The rate was very similar to the perm position but I have seen FTCs advertised for projects before not just for interim positions.

Comment

That makes sense.

The only real knowledge I have there is when my wife did a maternity cover FTC. The rate was very similar to the perm position but I have seen FTCs advertised for projects before not just for interim positions.
                  ..and for the reasons i've given earlier.

Incidentally, two cost elements for permies and FTCs that don't work for contractors are efficiency - permies average 80% productive effort, contractors 100% - and notice periods - a three month notice period is a risk that carries a cost.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

..and for the reasons i've given earlier.

Incidentally, two cost elements for permies and FTCs that don't work for contractors are efficiency - permies average 80% productive effort, contractors 100% - and notice periods - a three month notice period is a risk that carries a cost.
                    Not all permies have 3 month notice periods a lot have a month. That's why I never understood contracts where they want a month's notice.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Not all permies have 3 month notice periods a lot have a month. That's why I never understood contracts where they want a month's notice.
                      If you notice, a lot of the queries we get from permies looking to go contracting are asking about their 3 month notice period. Perhaps only the more senior roles are the people thinking they could be a contractor?

No matter. Contractors neither want nor need a notice period. The fact that they have them in the contract (and that they are routinely negated by other performance clauses) show how little UK industry - and especially HR and the agencies - understands what contractors are.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X