• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suppling IT services to an EU based country from 1/1/21

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppling IT services to an EU based country from 1/1/21

For the last 8 years I've run a PSC Ltd company, supplying IT services to an Italian company. I'm UK based, and work remotely from the UK, but travel to their head office for approx 10 weeks a year.

Any idea where I go to find out how Brexit affects me? I've been trying for months (if not years) to find out what's going to change for me, but can't find any clarity. Seems it's still all up in the air with only a few days to go?

Not expecting any answers here, but would be really grateful if anyone knows if the answers even exist yet, or where I might find them. Every article I've found talks about a situation different to the one I have.

Contact the Italian consulate before you travel.

Fare Affari in Italia
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Other than contacting the relevant authorities (who probably won't be aware of the details yet), you can see the text of the trade deal here:

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/re...X-1-PART-1.PDF

Other than the general conditions, search for specific conditions regarding the delivery of services in Italy. For example (not filtered for any particular professional service):

In IT: Residence or business domicile is required for enrolment in the professional register, which is
      necessary for the provision of accounting and bookkeeping services (CPC 86213, 86219, 86220).
      In IT: Residency is required for the provision of auditing services by natural persons.
      In IT: residency or professional domicile/business address in Italy is required for enrolment in the
      professional register, which is necessary for the exercise of architectural and engineering services
      (CPC 8671, 8672, 8673, 8674).
      In IT: Access to the actuarial profession through natural persons only. Professional associations (no
      incorporation) among natural persons permitted. European Union nationality is required for the
      practice of the actuarial profession, except for foreign professionals who may be allowed to practice
      based on reciprocity.
      In IT and PT: Residency is required for the supply of veterinary services.
      In IT: The Government may exercise certain special powers in enterprises operating in the areas of
      defence and national security, and in certain activities of strategic importance in the areas of energy,
      transport and communications. This applies to all juridical persons carrying out activities considered
      of strategic importance in the areas of defence and national security, not only to privatised
      companies.
      In IT: The practice of the profession is possible only for natural persons enrolled in the register, as
      well as for legal persons in the form of partnerships, where every partner of the company must be
      an enrolled pharmacist. Enrolment in the pharmacist professional register requires nationality of a
      Member State of the European Union or residency and the practice of the profession in Italy. Foreign
      nationals having the necessary qualifications may enrol if they are citizens of a country with whom
      Italy has a special agreement, authorising the exercise of the profession, under condition of
      reciprocity (D. Lgsl. CPS 233/1946 Articles 7-9 and D.P.R. 221/1950 paragraphs 3 and 7). New or
      vacant pharmacies are authorised following a public competition. Only nationals of a Member State
      of the European Union enrolled in the Register of pharmacists ("albo") are able to participate in a
      public competition.
      Establishment authorisation is subject to an economic needs test. Main criteria: population and
      density conditions in the area.
      In IT: For biologists, chemical analysts, agronomists and "periti agrari", residency and enrolment in
      the professional register are required. Third country nationals can enrol under condition of
      reciprocity
      In IT: Residency or professional domicile in Italy is required for enrolment in the geologists' register,
      which is necessary for the practice of the professions of surveyor or geologist in order to provide
      services relating to the exploration and the operation of mines, etc. Nationality of a Member State is
      required; however, foreigners may enrol under condition of reciprocity.
      In IT: Transport insurance of goods, insurance of vehicles and liability insurance regarding risks
      located in Italy may be underwritten only by insurance companies established in the European
      Union, except for international transport involving imports into Italy.
      In IT: Services of "consulenti finanziari" (financial consultant). In providing the activity of door-todoor selling, intermediaries must utilise authorised financial salesmen resident within the territory of a Member State
      etc.

Comment

I wouldn't get wound up on the trade deal, the point is that EU countries have already implemented the new procedures for British nationals after 1st Jan 2021. The only thing that will change is the likelyhood of the visa being approved.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I wouldn't get wound up on the trade deal, the point is that EU countries have already implemented the new procedures for British nationals after 1st Jan 2021. The only thing that will change is the likelyhood of the visa being approved.
          Likelihood.

You wouldn't get "wound up" on the thing that governs cross-border trade in services post-Brexit, including country-specific requirements? Yeah, ok.

Obviously, it will evolve over time.

Obviously, the general clauses matter as much as the country-specific ones - you need to check both.

For a good high-level summary, see the IFG. For example:

Services | The Institute for Government

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Likelihood.

You wouldn't get "wound up" on the thing that governs cross-border trade in services post-Brexit, including country-specific requirements? Yeah, ok.

Obviously, it will evolve over time.

Obviously, the general clauses matter as much as the country-specific ones - you need to check both.

For a good high-level summary, see the IFG. For example:

Services | The Institute for Government
            For anyone in Britain wanting to do business in Europe they simply follow the same procedure as anyone else from elsewhere in the world. The forms and procedures are already in place. If you have a planned trip in January just fill out the form.

There's no point scouring the trade deal.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

One important point is that you don't need a visa for business visits, up to 90 days per year. So maybe you can simply ensure you work remotely and just travel to Italy for the meetings.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

For anyone in Britain wanting to do business in Europe they simply follow the same procedure as anyone else from elsewhere in the world. The forms and procedures are already in place. If you have a planned trip in January just fill out the form.

There's no point scouring the trade deal.
                False, as you accept in your subsequent post.

A UK actuary aiming to deliver services in Italy after 1 January might disagree with your assessment of the special conditions in the trade deal. Of course the text is important as it governs cross-border trade in services (that are not covered by WTO). That’s the whole point. There isn’t much on services and there’s nothing yet on the recognition of professional qualifications, but that’s what we have for now.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  False, as you accept in your subsequent post.

A UK actuary aiming to deliver services in Italy after 1 January might disagree with your assessment of the special conditions in the trade deal. Of course the text is important as it governs cross-border trade in services (that are not covered by WTO). That’s the whole point. There isn’t much on services and there’s nothing yet on the recognition of professional qualifications, but that’s what we have for now.
                  He's not providing actuarial services. He's simply working offshore and will be up to the client. EU countries have loads of offshore resources supplying from outside the EU. Our company had suppliers all over the world, accessing the same hardware and data. The trade deal is irrelevant in this respect. The only thing he needs to consider is if he works in Italy other than business visits he needs a visa.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

He's not providing actuarial services. He's simply working offshore and will be up to the client. EU countries have loads of offshore resources supplying from outside the EU. Our company had suppliers all over the world, accessing the same hardware and data. The trade deal is irrelevant in this respect. The only thing he needs to consider is if he works in Italy other than business visits he needs a visa.
                    This is simply an illustration of why your statement that it doesn't matter is false. Are you seriously saying that you've read and digested the deal and determined the precise implications for the OP? Don't be ridiculous, of course you haven't.

Your assertion that it doesn't matter is false. You even accepted that in your own post about visa-free travel (tourism and limited business purposes), which would not have happened, absent a deal.

As far as IT services goes, I cannot see anything specific on first glance. It looks like the OP may need to carry PI insurance from an insurer in a member state, for example.

There is also some boilerplate stuff from the UK government here:

Italy: providing services and travelling for business from 1 January 2021 - GOV.UK

Comment

Working...
                    X