• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running back to permie land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    It's crazy how many people throughout history have accomplished just astronomical things way harder than anything we do on a daily basis and they did it when they were 15, 20, 25, 30 years old and with very few years of experience behind them. It's crazy how we put young people in this box and treat them like babies. This type of discrimination doesn't get enough attention and it's holding back society.
    What on earth you are you prattling on about? Who said anything about young? Junior PM to Global Portfolio? Different skill sets and knowledge so it goes without saying the person doing that will end up incompetent in the new role. They just can't be anything else. I am sure there are many capable people about but experience and knowledge counts when trying to fulfill a role.

Actually, I don't even know why I'm responding to this rubbish.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That's what every junior PM thinks... but it's rarely true.
      It is 100% true in my case to the point where I was training the newer PM’s on higher rates than me how to do the job. That was a hard pill to swallow.

You like to generalise, don’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
        It is 100% true in my case to the point where I was training the newer PM’s on higher rates than me how to do the job. That was a hard pill to swallow.

Just say what I see.

But sounds like a good move for you so good luck
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you were a bit of a doormat then, that’s the difference between a real PM and a junior

A real PM Would not put up with such nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What on earth you are you prattling on about? Who said anything about young? Junior PM to Global Portfolio? Different skill sets and knowledge so it goes without saying the person doing that will end up incompetent in the new role. They just can't be anything else. I am sure there are many capable people about but experience and knowledge counts when trying to fulfill a role.

Actually, I don't even know why I'm responding to this rubbish.
            OP got the job I think that is a greater indication that OP is qualified for the role than your opinion on the matter.

Comment

Global Portfolio Manager.
              My perm offer is 60k ?
              I don't get it. I am a not particularly good programmer and have only the vaguest idea of the programming language I'm supposed to use.

Am I really expected to believe that a global portfolio manager earns a small fraction of what I do?

Is this site being infiltrated by agents trying to drive our rates down or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                Problem is that for each Prodigy there are at least 1000 Dunces.
                And Alexander the Great wasn’t in a 300 pd gig before landing his permie king job.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Sounds like you were a bit of a doormat then, that’s the difference between a real PM and a junior

A real PM Would not put up with such nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  Yep agreed! I addressed this after I’d been there a year and was due a rate increase and for the junior to be scrapped from contract . Then 3 weeks later lockdown hit and they terminated 90% of contractors in IT but kept me on. In the end I was a very happy doormat to have any income during the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                    I don't get it. I am a not particularly good programmer and have only the vaguest idea of the programming language I'm supposed to use.

Am I really expected to believe that a global portfolio manager earns a small fraction of what I do?

Is this site being infiltrated by agents trying to drive our rates down or what?
                    You are comparing apples and pears. Salary also depends on the sector you are in. Retail is low end of the market but it is what it is, I tried changing sectors and was not successful.

‘A small fraction ‘ are you contracting or perm? Huge difference.

Comment

What a fantastic thread. Really glad I read it.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X