• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running back to permie land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
    Hello, I’m approaching 2 years in contracting with the same company..what with the Covid situation and IR35 looming I am running back to permie world from Feb but hopefully a strategic move up on paper ..moving from Junior Project manager to Global Portfolio Manager. ..
    That's a great news. Congratulations. After a couple of years in your new role, you can look for an opportunity in Middle East where they care more about previous job titles. This new title will get you much much more there. So you have made a very good move!.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Can't see that working well....
      @northernladuk - Why the constant negativty on these forums as though you "own" it??

Almost every other post you do is scathingly critical of others and you do seem to have but little to do with your time than post on here!

Many of us did a big jump when we were in the early stages of our careers.

Good luck to the OP - why try to take everyone down with your smirking and superior opinions - a little politeness and latitude will make the world a better place :-)

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
        @northernladuk - Why the constant negativty on these forums as though you "own" it??

Almost every other post you do is scathingly critical of others and you do seem to have but little to do with your time than post on here!

Many of us did a big jump when we were in the early stages of our careers.

Good luck to the OP - why try to take everyone down with your smirking and superior opinions - a little politeness and latitude will make the world a better place :-)
        Wow.. So much upset over a comment of a junior PM moving to a senior porfolio roll. It's a fair comment but clearly up for discussion but no need to get all upset about it. If you see a junior bod in whatever you do suddenly move in to a very senior position it will always raise questions or eyebrows. I didn't say anything about the OP not being capable but he's lacking the knowledge that position requires so it's going to be a difficult step. I've seen more than my fair share of people moving to positions they weren't ready for and it can be a right pain in the arse. Everyone has, so it's not like I'm making it up.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 30 December 2020, 15:36.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I’m a she ?

I’ve had a lot of management experience in my career. I took a demotion on paper when I took the JR PM role but doubled my income. I do agree the jump sounds a bit ludicrous on paper but it doesn’t tell the whole story.

Thanks for the well wishes and have a lovely quiet New Year wherever you are x

Comment

Have a

£60k perm in this environment is not to be sniffed at. In a few years time you may choose to go back contracting on a higher day rate, or not, but it's easier to make those decisions from a position of power
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Can't see that working well....
              Job titles are pretty much meaningless when moving from one company/sector to another. The OP is probably doing 80% the same work in the new role, just with a different job title.

I agree with others that £300 p/d to £60K + benefits is probably a good move at this time.

Comment

I'm about to take the plunge and make a similar move to the OP.

After 2 years of contracting, that's me done and ready to head back to permie land.

2020 has been incredibly stressful, with a contract I didn't enjoy in the slightest, at a majorly disappointing client, seeing most of the contractors in my team, one by one either not getting renewed or being treated poorly and basically forced to quit, just to be replaced by incompetent junior permies.

I started a new contract this week, £300 a day inside ir35. I was making exactly double that amount 12 months ago, but that's what the very few available contract roles for my skillset pay nowadays.

Got offered a permie role for 50k a year, 10% bonus, 10% pension contributions, all the other usual benefits, totally remote now and then 4 days a week remote with the office 30 minutes away by car when things go back to "normal". The money is more than enough, the work is interesting enough, and the job is cushy enough for me to be able to focus more on the things that really matters (my family and my hobbies).

Maybe in 5-10 years I'll switch again.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  I'm about to take the plunge and make a similar move to the OP.

After 2 years of contracting, that's me done and ready to head back to permie land.

2020 has been incredibly stressful, with a contract I didn't enjoy in the slightest, at a majorly disappointing client, seeing most of the contractors in my team, one by one either not getting renewed or being treated poorly and basically forced to quit, just to be replaced by incompetent junior permies.

I started a new contract this week, £300 a day inside ir35. I was making exactly double that amount 12 months ago, but that's what the very few available contract roles for my skillset pay nowadays.

Got offered a permie role for 50k a year, 10% bonus, 10% pension contributions, all the other usual benefits, totally remote now and then 4 days a week remote with the office 30 minutes away by car when things go back to "normal". The money is more than enough, the work is interesting enough, and the job is cushy enough for me to be able to focus more on the things that really matters (my family and my hobbies).

Maybe in 5-10 years I'll switch again.

Hey man, PTCNN

I wish you the very best of luck.

Comment

I'm 4 months into a Permie role. I'm quitting soon and running for the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                      I'm 4 months into a Permie role. I'm quitting soon and running for the hills.
                      Is it the salary or mindset that is making you quit?

Comment

Working...
                      X