• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start contract on Monday messed up due to covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start contract on Monday messed up due to covid

I am supposed to start a new contract on Monday in the Netherlands (WFH home but in NL), and now all new corona regulations are making it very difficult to get there. I have a flight booked to fly on Sunday that requires a PCR test but it is impossible to get a test in time for it to be valid for the flight (test centres closed tomorrow).

Also in general the fact there is a nearly widespread shutdown across EU I am having second thoughts about this move and new contract (I know it is very late)

Do I have any grounds to cancel this contract at such a last minute?
    Legally would I be liable? (I've signed contract about a month ago and all screening etc done)

You’ve got problems with or without COVID.

You do realise that from tomorrow you could be deported from the Netherlands for not having a work visa, don’t you?

So I take it that you are an EU national?

From a Covid pov, I guess that you wouldn’t be the only one cancelling contracts at short notice. Call the agency and explain the situation.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You could have done a test today.
      Why wait until the last second if they accept up to 72 hours?

Comment

The EU will probably impose a ban on all travellers from the UK tomorrow.

EU to Curb U.K. Travelers on Covid at End of Brexit Transition

It looks like your only option is to hold remote meetings. As cojak has pointed out you won't be able to work without a visa unless you can travel to the Netherlands before 11pm.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Where are you flying from? There's three test centres at Heathrow: T2, T5 and the N4 car park drive through.

Comment

if you're working from home why do you need to be anywhere?
            Stay in the UK till you can travel (March maybe)
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

There isn't a way in the world I could have negotiated a contract that required me to be their in person from January the 1st with a straight face for several months.

Unless it is WFH it isn't happening. I haven't physically met the people I have been working with based in the UK yet in my current contract so you and no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

So I take it that you are an EU national?
                Yes, EU passport.

if you're working from home why do you need to be anywhere?
                Stay in the UK till you can travel (March maybe)
                Good point. I actually only need to go to either get their laptop or else the VPN/software on my own to be able to connect to their network

After that it is not important where I WFH. I've asked now for them to somehow sort the VPN stuff remotely but they are not sure if they can. I'll wait until Monday to hear back

Comment

Working...
                X