• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early termination change on 1-day notice - contract breach?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to be clear. If you want to pursue this your first course of action is to reject the notice served that is wrong. Just email them and say that it's not accepted as notice, as a) notice has already been served and accepted with termination due 15/1/2021, and b) the timing is wrong.

Second. Don't do any work if they ask you to stop.

Third. Invoice them for the time done till today immediately. And also a separate invoice for the time till 15th jan. That will allow them to pay you, and tell you to Foxtrot Oscar on the other.
    But you will have an invoice in. Without that you can't sue anyone.

Fourth. Start the dunning process once they're late on payment. Not before.

Fifth. Contact Safe Collections.

No point suing. You just want to make enough noise that they decide it's easier to pay. They probably won't but you never know.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      Do clients pay agents before timesheets are even signed off?
      No. Clients can be on up to 60 days payment terms. Agents often factor the payments to contractors and suffer the risk of late payment.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        to be clear. If you want to pursue this your first course of action is to reject the notice served that is wrong. Just email them and say that it's not accepted as notice, as a) notice has already been served and accepted with termination due 15/1/2021, and b) the timing is wrong.

Third. Invoice them for the time done till today immediately. And also a separate invoice for the time till 15th jan. That will allow them to pay you, and tell you to Foxtrot Oscar on the other.

No point suing. You just want to make enough noise that they decide it's easier to pay. They probably won't but you never know.
        But none of that will work as the agency hasn't been paid so they'll not pay up until they are on the court steps.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But none of that will work as the agency hasn't been paid so they'll not pay up until they are on the court steps.
          you're right but it's still the correct process.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

you're right but it's still the correct process.
            That is very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              Do clients pay agents before timesheets are even signed off?
              He’s been working there for a while. The agents will have already received enough money to pay two weeks extra and still make a healthy profit.

I’ve had a contract cancelled before I started and the agent still paid me the notice period (since we had signed the contract).

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                He’s been working there for a while. The agents will have already received enough money to pay two weeks extra and still make a healthy profit.

I’ve had a contract cancelled before I started and the agent still paid me the notice period (since we had signed the contract).
                FOG

Comment

I would probably go with this, accepting the likelihood that I wouldn’t get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Don’t take legal action, that will only damage you professionally just for 2 weeks of invoice. Let it go and start looking for new gigs. Clients hire contractors for this exact scenario where they have no work and have to save cash.
                    How on earth will that damage them professionally FFS?
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      How on earth will that damage them professionally FFS?
                      The client definitely won't rehire them and the agency will avoid them.

Haven't you got repeat work through a client?
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X