• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearance

Currently going though this (enhanced DBS) & employment screening for an upcoming role. I have CV gaps so they are asking me to prove that I wasn't working, which seems odd. Being asked for bank statements. I've been through clearances before & not had this much interrogation. What's behind it all?
    Clarity is everything

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Currently going though this (enhanced DBS) & employment screening for an upcoming role. I have CV gaps so they are asking me to prove that I wasn't working, which seems odd. Being asked for bank statements. I've been through clearances before & not had this much interrogation. What's behind it all?
    Guest of HM?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Guest of HM?
      Ah, right I see...detained at Her Majesty's pleasure you mean?
      Not applicable in my case so that never crossed my mind. Makes sense, thanks.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Do you have any travel or hotel receipts that cover part of the non-working period to help show you were doing something else?

Comment

My employment has been as Director of a limited company since it was formed. There are no gaps.

Company resume shows a partial list of clients services have been provided to.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Do you have any travel or hotel receipts that cover part of the non-working period to help show you were doing something else?
            They seem more interested in identifying any regular, & consistent amount payments into my personal account more than anything else. They've advised it's ok for me to redact any outgoings.
            I still find it odd because if it was to do with identifying, or confirming any periods of detention, then surely they'd be interested in outgoing transactions as opposed to any income? i.e. yes this chap's account was active as witnessed by the number of transactions in various parts of the UK, so therefore it's most unlikely he was detained anywhere, for example.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Pretty standard stuff and been asked this everytime I've been checked. Just to make sure you've been at large in society and not been to prison or had a year training course in Afghanistan etc.

No point trying to reason why. They'll have their own risk profile that might not make any sense to us but ticks their boxes.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                My employment has been as Director of a limited company since it was formed. There are no gaps.

Company resume shows a partial list of clients services have been provided to.
                One way to fail a screening

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

They seem more interested in identifying any regular, & consistent amount payments into my personal account more than anything else. They've advised it's ok for me to redact any outgoings.
                  I still find it odd because if it was to do with identifying, or confirming any periods of detention, then surely they'd be interested in outgoing transactions as opposed to any income? i.e. yes this chap's account was active as witnessed by the number of transactions in various parts of the UK, so therefore it's most unlikely he was detained anywhere, for example.
                  Standard box ticking excercise, they probably have no idea why they ask this themselves anymore. And no way round it, comply or die

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

It's popped up on here occasionally (not advocating you to search, NLUK will be along to do that shortly...)

As has been said, it's to do with jail time, hiding a failed engagement, etc.

It varies based on the operational risk policy of the client. Some know there will be gaps (summer 2012 was bad due to Jubilee then Olympics mixed in with school holidays for example) and 2020 will be a big known to everyone (you'd hope!).

Just be honest - market was hard to find a contract in, you wanted a bit of time off to do a DIY project because you'd not had a break in projects for a while, whatever it may be.

If they insist on bank statements, ask why because you've never had that request before. Especially if you've got multiple accounts because they may not need to see more than one. I'd consider it an invasion of privacy tbh.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X