• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

Good evening

I have tried to find out a definitive answer but to no avail. I am currently in a role where I am security cleared and have been for last 9 years. My clearance needs renewed later this year.

I was recently arrested and I have a citation to appear at court. I won't go into specifics and without tempting fate, I think once it goes before a judge and all evidence is heard I will get found not guilty.

The issue is my security clearance will probably be up before it goes to court. I have checked and I don't think the forms ask if you have any charges pending, it only asks for spent and unspent convictions.

So my question is, does the security clearance check for pending convictions. Obviously if convicted I would declare it but I am hoping it doesn't get to that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Have you actually been formally charged?

It doesn't appear that you have any pending convictions (unless you intend to plead guilty)? You were arrested. Many people get arrested and very few ever get prosecuted, and even fewer found guilty in Court.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

After 9 years, you would hope you understood what security clearance actually is and why it is needed.

Tell your site SSO what's happening. That is a lot safer than not telling them, for both sides. And if you need a reason for being upfront, go read the OSA that you signed up to; it is clear that any material change that may impact your clearance must be reported.

If they find out independently, then your clearance has gone, irrevocably.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Have you actually been formally charged?

It doesn't appear that you have any pending convictions (unless you intend to plead guilty)? You were arrested. Many people get arrested and very few ever get prosecuted, and even fewer found guilty in Court.
        Yes I have been charged and have an initial court date but as I mentioned earlier I don't think proceedings with be completed by the time I need to re-apply for my clearance. I intend to plead not guilty and I am hopeful that will be the eventual outcome. I would rather not have disclosed to my work at this stage but it is looking like I will need to. I just wasn't sure if it was only actual criminal convictions that showed up on the check but sounds like if I have a case pending it will also show up.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

I have tried to find out a definitive answer but to no avail.
          Because there isn't one. We don't know what they criteria or risk profile is for obvious reasons. The general answer to your question is mentioned number times in the SC Clearance Q&A before you post sticky at the top.

Be open and honest and carry on. Start trying to be devious and get around stuff isn't the way to go when you are cleared for very sensitive material.

Do what Mal says.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davidqu View Post
            Good evening

I have tried to find out a definitive answer but to no avail. I am currently in a role where I am security cleared and have been for last 9 years. My clearance needs renewed later this year.

I was recently arrested and I have a citation to appear at court. I won't go into specifics and without tempting fate, I think once it goes before a judge and all evidence is heard I will get found not guilty.

The issue is my security clearance will probably be up before it goes to court. I have checked and I don't think the forms ask if you have any charges pending, it only asks for spent and unspent convictions.

So my question is, does the security clearance check for pending convictions. Obviously if convicted I would declare it but I am hoping it doesn't get to that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Citation? Which country are you in?
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Citation? Which country are you in?
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by davidqu View Post
                Scotland
                That should be reason enough not to give clearance. Drink problems and no one understanding a word you say could make you a danger to national security.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  After 9 years, you would hope you understood what security clearance actually is and why it is needed.

Tell your site SSO what's happening. That is a lot safer than not telling them, for both sides. And if you need a reason for being upfront, go read the OSA that you signed up to; it is clear that any material change that may impact your clearance must be reported.

If they find out independently, then your clearance has gone, irrevocably.
                  This ^^^^^^^

Go talk to the on-site people.... NOW....
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That should be reason enough not to give clearance. Drink problems and no one understanding a word you say could make you a danger to national security.
                    I thought I was one of few who didn't understand them.

Comment

Working...
                    X