• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Statement of Work (SoW) being outside of IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If there was a point there you spoilt it by sounding like a pompus ass.
    I only base my analysis on hard evidence.

I can see the level of work done by every developer at the client site via Git.

When i say i provide at least £2000 a day of value to the client, it is based on that evidence and not just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

When i say i provide at least £2000 a day of value to the client, it is based on that evidence and not just my opinion.
      You use git commits as evidence of value delivered? I assume you use quantity of code as the differentiator, since there's no way you can determine the quality across every developer? How very 1990s.

I really do think you have a very blinkered view of how the market will be post April this year (and most likely, based on my experience of those that like to shout about their own skills, of your own abilities).

Comment

You might but unless you are the only person doing X then you are just another developer.

And HMRC will just say as the other developers are inside this one is as well.

Value added doesn't matter when HMRC regards IR35 as role based.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          You use git commits as evidence of value delivered? I assume you use quantity of code as the differentiator, since there's no way you can determine the quality across every developer? How very 1990s.

I really do think you have a very blinkered view of how the market will be post April this year (and most likely, based on my experience of those that like to shout about their own skills, of your own abilities).
          I actually look inside the code commits, you can actually see what any developer has done within seconds with the visual code review systems we have these days.

Most really struggle to do much, either because they don't suit the role, or are not very good or because they are lazy.

And it is not because they have been given hard tasks is the reason they don't do much. The developers who don't produce much (most of them) get given the easy tasks, no point giving them the hard stuff because they would never be able to do it.

It really it is a case of Prices law: the square root of people do 50% of the work.

100 developers in a company, the top 10 will do half the work. The next 10 will do half the rest (25%) etc

Its fascinating stuff and applies to lots of different fields not just software development.

Comment

I actually look inside the code commits, you can actually see what any developer has done within seconds with the visual code review systems we have these days.

Most really struggle to do much, either because they don't suit the role, or are not very good or because they are lazy.

And it is not because they have been given hard tasks is the reason they don't do much. The developers who don't produce much (most of them) get given the easy tasks, no point giving them the hard stuff because they would never be able to do it.

It really it is a case of Prices law: the square root of people do 50% of the work.

100 developers in a company, the top 10 will do half the work. The next 10 will do half the rest (25%) etc

Its fascinating stuff and applies to lots of different fields not just software development.
            But you are a developer

The client has other developers who are inside IR35

so in HMRC's eyes you are inside IR35

And productivity isn't any indicator that you are outside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

And HMRC will just say as the other developers are inside this one is as well.

Value added doesn't matter when HMRC regards IR35 as role based.
              My point is if you add enough value you can negotiate outside working practices that other contractors wont get.
              The client will be much more willing to accommodate you.

Comment

My point is if you add enough value you can negotiate outside working practices that other contractors wont get.
                The client will be much more willing to accommodate you.
                And my point is that come April - you can't as HMRC will be adopting a very clear role based viewpoint (as demonstrated in all examples HMRC have ever used regarding IR35)

Comment

There are no Ltd contractors who will be deemed inside by clients. They will be forced to use umbrellas.

Every Ltd company contractor that a company uses will be outside IR35 by definition.

So there will be no one for HMRC to point at and say those contractors are inside and therefore so are these ones that you gave just gave an outside determination to.

Comment

There are no Ltd contractors who will be deemed inside by clients. They will be forced to use umbrellas.

Every Ltd company contractor that a company uses will be outside IR35 by definition.

So there will be no one for HMRC to point at and say those contractors are inside and therefore so are these ones that you gave just gave an outside determination to.
                    That wasn't my point - HMRC's favourite example is 2 Solicitors paid the same £60,000 (yes I know the example is insane). One is an employee one was using a limited company. The one using a limited company shouldn't be because they both do the same job.

As for your point all the umbrella workers and Limited Company contractors will appear on the same agency report.

The umbrella workers will have less details against their record (as they are being paid via PAYE so no need to report the company involved) however your company would appear on the report. And given an agency report with 100 names on and only 2 limited companies that could be of interest.

Comment

I’m not sure you’re right.
                      It would be easy for a client to simply issue an inside SDS based on known facts and leave the rest up to the contractor.
                      The choice to use an umbrella is the contractors. It makes sense but it’s the other way round to what you think.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X