• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate negotiation, recruiter trying it on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Back to the OP's question. This is just an agency trick. The client won't be changing their rate, it's purely the agent and as the agent have no idea about what the real work is and won't understand how long this will take it's nothing more than the agent ring fencing their commission. If you are the right person and the client has selected you then you are in a strong position to push back. The balance here is if the agent is mercenary enough to push the 2nd place guy at the reduced price. It happens. <insert winker smilie>

IMO I'd be taking the six month gig at full price. If the client needs you it will turn in to 12 months anyway and you are quids in. If they don't they'll get rid of you anyway and you will have earned £50 a day less.

I'd be a little worried what the agents margin is if they are willing to drop £50 a day.

I always check if the agent is on a fixed margin early doors. If they are they've less chance of being able to mess you around over rate.
    They aren't dropping £50 a day they are trying to add £50 a day to their margin

Client pays £600. Agency was offering £500 for a 6 month contract
    Now they are offering £450 for a 12 month contract.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tell the agency you want to know more about the job, so don't commit to the cut. Go to the interview and impress the client. After that, thank the agency for their offer, but say that you want to stick with the original rate for 6 months. If it the gig was ever going to be 12 months, you'll get extended after that.

Comment

Back to the OP's question. This is just an agency trick. The client won't be changing their rate, it's purely the agent and as the agent have no idea about what the real work is and won't understand how long this will take it's nothing more than the agent ring fencing their commission. If you are the right person and the client has selected you then you are in a strong position to push back. The balance here is if the agent is mercenary enough to push the 2nd place guy at the reduced price. It happens. <insert winker smilie>

IMO I'd be taking the six month gig at full price. If the client needs you it will turn in to 12 months anyway and you are quids in. If they don't they'll get rid of you anyway and you will have earned £50 a day less.

I'd be a little worried what the agents margin is if they are willing to drop £50 a day.

I always check if the agent is on a fixed margin early doors. If they are they've less chance of being able to mess you around over rate.
        I've recently found myself on the other side of the table. Submitted a subbie's CV to client at a rate I though I could land. The client came back and said they wanted the subbie but at a lower rate. No trick. Just a negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I've recently found myself on the other side of the table. Submitted a subbie's CV to client at a rate I though I could land. The client came back and said they wanted the subbie but at a lower rate. No trick. Just a negotiation.
          It certainly does happen but I'm sure you'd be up front with your sub about what was going on, which an agent never would

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            What's the notice period? If it's not 12 months guaranteed pay (and it won't be) nothing has changed - your contract is only as good as the notice period.
            Depends on the client, some clients like to honour end dates, some are quicker to cull contractors, typically the later are clients that that will cut rates mid contract as well.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 14 January 2021, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              Depends on the client, some clients like to honour end dates, some are quicker to cull contractors, typically the later are clients that that will cut rates mid contract as well.
              The former is potentially an IR35 problem if that end date isn't related to the work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                It certainly does happen but I'm sure you'd be up front with your sub about what was going on, which an agent never would
                I know the subbie pretty well, so we worked it out. But it's been interesting seeing it from the other side. This client doesn't give a budget. Just wants CVs and costs, and I need to work out what is fair all round and what will land.

Comment

The former is potentially an IR35 problem if that end date isn't related to the work.
                  Its also annoying, we had a few dead weight contractors, slacking freeloaders but masters of bulltulip, who should have been frog marched out of the building but the client kept them until the end date.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    They aren't dropping £50 a day they are trying to add £50 a day to their margin

Client pays £600. Agency was offering £500 for a 6 month contract
                    Now they are offering £450 for a 12 month contract.
                    Ah, that makes more sense yes. Sneaky t**ts

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      Its also annoying, we had a few dead weight contractors, slacking freeloaders but masters of bulltulip, who should have been frog marched out of the building but the client kept them until the end date.
                      Really hacks me off that does. Why do they pay what they do yet will laugh about how useless said person is in meetings. Does my nut in that.

Comment

Working...
                      X