• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate negotiation, recruiter trying it on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In my experience, it's nearly always the agent.
    And I'd also be tempted to go with this as well unless there is a fixed margin in place. That said my current client expects a ten or so percent cut on the first renewal. My agent swallowed some of it but had to pass some of it on. The first time I was here I was highly sceptical when the agent told me this but it's the second time it's happened and it's a consultancy this time so seems legit. So I know clients can push it but I'd still default the blame to the agent until proven otherwise.
    Thankfully it's only the first renewal. Pretty smart move to be fair.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It has got to the stage now I hardly take any notice of my end date as it tends to either get terminated early because they have run out of money or you are renewed to finish the project.

If you have got nothing else on the go I would be tempted to have a safety first policy but if you aren't that desperate spin the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And I'd also be tempted to go with this as well unless there is a fixed margin in place. That said my current client expects a ten or so percent cut on the first renewal.
        I remember when renewal was a time for a ten percent increase.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

For my first contract the agent tried his utmost best to convince me that 495 is the best the client can do (I wanted 500). I have already been through the interviews and I knew that my skillset was a perfect match. I smelt bulltulip so I called him on it and said that I cannot accept a lower rate than what I have asked for. He huffed and puffed about his manager not allowing him to stretch any further than 495 but after I thanked him for the opportunity and said my goodbyes quickly changed his tune and found the missing £5.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
            For my first contract the agent tried his utmost best to convince me that 495 is the best the client can do (I wanted 500). I have already been through the interviews and I knew that my skillset was a perfect match. I smelt bulltulip so I called him on it and said that I cannot accept a lower rate than what I have asked for. He huffed and puffed about his manager not allowing him to stretch any further than 495 but after I thanked him for the opportunity and said my goodbyes quickly changed his tune and found the missing £5.
            Great skills. Look after those fivers... bet you wish you’d asked for £525.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your first contract? You probably tripled your take home and you almost lost it over 100 a month gross?

Comment

If I think the agent is pulling a fast one but I don't want to rock the boat and risk losing the contract then I've taken the contract unchallenged. Get your feet under the desk and find out what the client is paying and then if there is scope for it play hardball with the agent in mid contract. I've had it work and I've also failed but nothing ventured...…. Probably not a goer in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

If I think the agent is pulling a fast one but I don't want to rock the boat and risk losing the contract then I've taken the contract unchallenged. Get your feet under the desk and find out what the client is paying and then if there is scope for it play hardball with the agent in mid contract. I've had it work and I've also failed but nothing ventured...…. Probably not a goer in the current climate.
                  It's a goer if the end client knows what you are doing so ignores the "I'm sorry but he's resigned" phone call that the agent will try and make.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's a goer if the end client knows what you are doing so ignores the "I'm sorry but he's resigned" phone call that the agent will try and make.
                    I think this only applies when the agent has told lies and doesn't want the client involved or knowing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      Your first contract? You probably tripled your take home and you almost lost it over 100 a month gross?
                      When I was junior I once got a payrise which bumped my pay by 4.5k but I wanted a payrise of 6k. I demanded the difference but was told there is no budget and it is already good money. 4 weeks later I found a job that paid extra 12k and put my notice in. The original employer countered and matched the 12k. You should get paid what you think you are worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X