• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate negotiation, recruiter trying it on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate negotiation, recruiter trying it on?

Gone from let's talk about a role on Li, to send me your CV and day rate to the client arranging an interview in less than a day!

Recruiters just come back to me today and now the end user is looking at a lower day rate but for 12 rather than 6 months. Any thoughts on how to proceed? £50 drop.

The way I see it I've already gone in on one day rate for an interview but to price down prior to the said interview strike's me as mr recruiter trying to pull my bluff.

I'm not backing down until I've had the interview.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    Gone from let's talk about a role on Li, to send me your CV and day rate to the client arranging an interview in less than a day!

Recruiters just come back to me today and now the end user is looking at a lower day rate but for 12 rather than 6 months. Any thoughts on how to proceed? £50 drop.

The way I see it I've already gone in on one day rate for an interview but to price down prior to the said interview strike's me as mr recruiter trying to pull my bluff.

What's the notice period? If it's not 12 months guaranteed pay (and it won't be) nothing has changed - your contract is only as good as the notice period.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What's the notice period? If it's not 12 months guaranteed pay (and it won't be) nothing has changed - your contract is only as good as the notice period.
      Excellent point, I will follow that up.

Comment

When did we start saying it's "only as good as the notice period" as opposed to "the notice period is irrelevant, no work = no pay"?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Might be worth stringing them along a bit by saying you will confirm the rate after interview, when you have a clearer understanding of the requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            When did we start saying it's "only as good as the notice period" as opposed to "the notice period is irrelevant, no work = no pay"?
            I was pointing out that there was zero difference between a 12 month contract and a 6 month contract.

Using a notice period to emphasis that point is clearer than a no work, no pay argument.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was pointing out that there was zero difference between a 12 month contract and a 6 month contract.

Using a notice period to emphasis that point is clearer than a no work, no pay argument.
              Yeah legally it isn't much different but it does show intention. If you're comparing 6 months at one potential client vs 12 months at another then there is something you can take away from that.

Obviously 6 v 12 months at same client same engagement is irrelevant as you have stated since you're only there as long as they need/want you regardless.

Comment

You should know it better. For e.g. assume you do not accept contracts less than £550. However the exceptions could be,

1. You can pickup a new skill that you already don't have. Gives you experience in that area, so go for it.
                2. You have been hunting for roles for the past couple months and you are spending from your savings.
                3. Nothing new, you can do the work in your sleep. Go for it, each day you only have to work for couple of hours.

All the above assumes remote work, no travelling etc.

I generally go with a mindset that my notice period is immediate from the client. This gives me peace of mind and not worry about what will happen next.
                Last edited by BigDataPro; 14 January 2021, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Yeah legally it isn't much different but it does show intention. If you're comparing 6 months at one potential client vs 12 months at another then there is something you can take away from that.
                  No it doesn't. It could be billing cycles, could be the agent trying to please the contract, could be the hiring manager hedging his bets so he doesn't have to do the paperwork twice. Shows nothing.
                  Obviously 6 v 12 months at same client same engagement is irrelevant as you have stated since you're only there as long as they need/want you regardless.
                  This is the only way to view it.

We've had hundred of threads that don't get this and are trying to sue the agent/client for loss of earnings when the contract get's canned early. It's nothing more than an expectation exercise as they think the contract length also shows intention and forget/don't get the reality.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

Back to the OP's question. This is just an agency trick. The client won't be changing their rate, it's purely the agent and as the agent have no idea about what the real work is and won't understand how long this will take it's nothing more than the agent ring fencing their commission. If you are the right person and the client has selected you then you are in a strong position to push back. The balance here is if the agent is mercenary enough to push the 2nd place guy at the reduced price. It happens. <insert winker smilie>

IMO I'd be taking the six month gig at full price. If the client needs you it will turn in to 12 months anyway and you are quids in. If they don't they'll get rid of you anyway and you will have earned £50 a day less.

I'd be a little worried what the agents margin is if they are willing to drop £50 a day.

I always check if the agent is on a fixed margin early doors. If they are they've less chance of being able to mess you around over rate.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X