• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delivering an entire project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It requires skills you clearly haven't got.

I like getting the PM to deal with tulipty people so I don't have to....
    ^ this.

Manager won't sign off the requirements when everyone else has and we've followed the pathetic process they insisted on? Not my problem, let the PM handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
      Are we going to pretend being a PM requires skill now?
      No don’t be silly

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        And that's before you factor in the fact that you've got to convince the client to risk their project on someone without a track record of doing this type of work.
        They are very keen already, so no convincing needed; any persuasion I’d need to do would be for the purposes of wriggling out. It’s via someone I know that recommended me.

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
          From what you are asking it is unclear what issue you are trying to solve, I would suggest you go back to them with an offer of a 10 day paid requirements scoping exercise which will allow you to provide a full costed estimate (or if you are brave fixed-price) for the work. It's what any real consultancy would do when presented with this scenario.
          Great suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Having done three cloud migrations I would say it depends. The first cloud migration I carried out was where we simply did nothing other than to move the applications onto the cloud without any changes. The other two cloud migrations involved significant development work because of enhanced security requirements and a requirement to use cloud services such as RDS.

If the customer requires the apps to simply be moved to the cloud then it is a relative simple process of configuring the cloud and installing the applications. Then you can probably give an estimate. If the latter you need to carry out a full analysis first.
            The idea is to have more reliability, and also to do self-serve (easier via a portal/CLI than raising tickets even with a fairly responsive partner). As such there will need to be adaptation to be able to leverage SLAs, have failover, georedundancy, etc. For example moving from IaaS to PaaS enables more failover out of the box, is easier to administer, autoscale, etc.

They have an in-house developer team so I’d look to sketch out a solution and general pricing parameters and hand it off to them.

I’ve advised on many such migrations, and been involved in implementing several end-to-end; the tricky part is to reduce the project management aspect as far as possible. ‘This solution is for entertainment purposes only...’
            Last edited by zerosum; 21 January 2021, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
            X