• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP! Extension Day Rate Negotiation!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food bank rate, tell them you need to eat

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Analyst91 View Post
      Should I count my blessings and accept the extension at my current rate or ask for an increase?
      Are you paid market rate for your role, or the new planned role?

If it is well below market you could argue that.

Are you easily replaceable, do you think the client considers you in top 10th percentile or above when it comes to your job performance, or could they go to market and replace you within a week with another average contractor at your existing rate?

In your position i would ask for £375 and take what ever more is offered including nothing.

Little harm in asking, you dont always have to threaten to quit there and then if you dont get the requested increase.

The client will sometimes agree as they dont want you quitting mid contract when you find something better.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        Are you paid market rate for

In your position i would ask for £375.
        What is wrong with you? This whole board is about whining about tax and the government. Now suddenly you want us to pay more tax so this public sector scrounger can leech more from us? Get a grip people.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          What is wrong with you? This whole board is about whining about tax and the government. Now suddenly you want us to pay more tax so this public sector scrounger can leech more from us? Get a grip people.
          His managers will just spend the money on something else, even more wasteful. Might as well be a fellow Contractor who gets the dosh.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 15:47.

Comment

No harm in trying for a rate increase though I doubt they'll agree to a 15% increase. I suspect it would be more like 5%, if at all in the current market. I would ask and accept their offer or look for something else. Normally contractors get significant increases by finding a new contract elsewhere.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 January 2021, 10:58.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hi all, OP here.

Thanks for all the advice! I've decided to go ahead and ask for the £375 but am prepared to accept less/no increase if it comes to it. If you don't ask, you don't get and the way I see it there isn't much to lose. Worst comes to worst, they say no and I remain on the same day rate.

Also just a quick note as I've seen a few posters assuming I am male and referring to me as "he" or "him". Just to clarify that I'm a woman which, although not relevant to the post, I wanted to point out as not all IT contractors are men

Comment

Hi all, OP here.

Thanks for all the advice! I've decided to go ahead and ask for the £375 but am prepared to accept less/no increase if it comes to it. If you don't ask, you don't get and the way I see it there isn't much to lose. Worst comes to worst, they say no and I remain on the same day rate.

Also just a quick note as I've seen a few posters assuming I am male and referring to me as "he" or "him". Just to clarify that I'm a woman which, although not relevant to the post, I wanted to point out as not all IT contractors are men
                Most people on here know that - but he / him is easier to say than other options. Especially when some women prefer to hide their gender online for various reasons.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi all, OP here.

So there was no real point asking the question then as you've completely ignored all the advice.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all, OP here.

Quite a lot of them aren't, including those who claim to be!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi all, OP here.
                      Go for it, the last time i asked a client for £50 a day rate increase the client gave me £30. And also said your agent is skimming £70 a day, if you want that other £20 get it off them.

I was surprised the agent was taking so little, i had thought they were skimming off around £120.

So i felt a bit sorry for them and didnt try and cut them down to just £50 a day. As they were a good agent who got me a good rate, £30 higher than what i was after when i started the gig.

But had they been taking £120 i would have squeezed them for that £20 for sure.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X