• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP! Extension Day Rate Negotiation!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Analyst91 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been in my current public sector contract role (inside IR35) since October 2020, this was due to end in March 2021 but I've already been told they would like to extend until the end of November. My question is whether to negotiate a higher day rate?

It's been made clear that my responsibilities will be growing over the next coming months and therefore feel it's fair that my remuneration is amended to reflect this... However I am also extremely grateful to even have a contract at the minute, let alone be offered an extension, given all that's happening in the job market right now (I myself spent 6 months on the bench last year).

Should I count my blessings and accept the extension at my current rate or ask for an increase?

FYI I am currently on £325 and would be asking to go up to £375 pd.

Cheers!
    Unless you're direct, you're asking the agent for an increase not the client. Id be surprised if the agent will give a 50 quid a day increase straight off the bat.

Mate of mine who I recommended for a job asked for an increase at the end of 12 and 24 months and got it. He asked for another when he'd been there 3 years. Agent said nope, you're on our top whack and besides, the client aint renewing beyond another 3 months.

As they say, shy bairns get nowt.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      Go for it, the last time i asked a client for £50 a day rate increase the client gave me £30. And also said your agent is skimming £70 a day, if you want that other £20 get it off them.

I was surprised the agent was taking so little, i had thought they were skimming off around £120.

So i felt a bit sorry for them and didnt try and cut them down to just £50 a day. As they were a good agent who got me a good rate, £30 higher than what i was after when i started the gig.

But had they been taking £120 i would have squeezed them for that £20 for sure.
      How many more times do we have to point out that the agent isn't skimming anything, you are. they found the business, they got you the gig. If you want their margin for yourself, then find your own work (and you still won't get it, clients understand budgets quite well) or learn how to negotiate.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        How many more times do we have to point out that the agent isn't skimming anything, you are. they found the business, they got you the gig. If you want their margin for yourself, then find your own work (and you still won't get it, clients understand budgets quite well) or learn how to negotiate.
        In my opinion they are often skimming off the top. You are entitled your own opinion.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 15:13.

Comment

In my opinion they are often skimming off the top. You are entitled your own opinion.
          It's not an opinion. It's a correct understanding of the flow of money.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my opinion they are skimming off the top. You are entitled your own opinion.
            You’ve got it all backwards....

They’re not skimming as has been pointed out repeatedly.

And renewal time is the correct time for them to reduce their margin as their work has been done. The renewal is work the worker has won not the agent.

I really don’t understand how you think they’re skimming and AND felt sorry for them not having as much margin as you thought....
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              I really don’t understand how you think they’re skimming and AND felt sorry for them not having as much margin as you thought....
              They got to make money i suppose given that they have chosen that line of work. But it is not a business that i could do with a clear conscience. The business of being a blood sucking parasite.

Comment

If you want their margin for yourself, then find your own work (and you still won't get it, clients understand budgets quite well) or learn how to negotiate.
                I know perfectly well how to negotiate, i once cut an agent down to skimming just £5 quid an hour off my rate.

They got £5 an hour i got £75. That was 20 years ago. £5 was worth a bit more back then compared to today.

Im not so ruthless these days.
                Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 15:33.

Comment

I know perfectly well how to negotiate, i once cut an agent down to skimming just £5 quid an hour off my rate.

They got £5 an hour i got £75. That was 20 years ago. £5 was worth a bit more back then compared to today.

Im not so ruthless these days.
                  Doesn't change the fact that you clearly do not understand a £27bn a year business. So don't lecture those that do.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that you clearly do not understand a £27bn a year business. So don't lecture those that do.
                    I wasnt lecturing anyone, just saying how i saw things. You seem to be the one who wants to lecture others on what words they should not be using.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 January 2021, 15:41.

Comment

I wasnt lecturing anyone, just saying how i saw things. You seem to be the one who wants to lecture others on what words they should not be using.
                      But it's key to understand who's money it is and how the flow works. At some point knowing that will make the difference between getting a better deal or not and other issues you may come across.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X