• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP! Extension Day Rate Negotiation!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We go through this with agents once in a while. I agree some of them don't help themselves and contractors have a love/hate relationship with them (no doubt reciprocated) but they also are the best mechanism for most of us to get contracts and they have to pay our invoices potentially a couple of months before they get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      They got to make money i suppose given that they have chosen that line of work. But it is not a business that i could do with a clear conscience. The business of being a blood sucking parasite.
      When you can find your own work you won't need them. The fact that you use them means that you need them.
      In my experience many clients consider the contractors as blood-sucking parasites, and agents just as a means to find the right one.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        In my experience many clients consider the contractors as blood-sucking parasites, and agents just as a means to find the cheapest one.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          We go through this with agents once in a while. I agree some of them don't help themselves and contractors have a love/hate relationship with them (no doubt reciprocated) but they also are the best mechanism for most of us to get contracts and they have to pay our invoices potentially a couple of months before they get paid.
          Never really understood (and still don't) the point of agencies from the side of the client. Yeah as contractors we are forced to use them because that's the hand that is given to us. Seems like a profession that exists just for the sake of it. If the agency is peeling £75-£100 off my rate - that's 18-25k a year the company could have saved if they found me themselves. And this is just 1 contractor! Could have just found someone else to do full time recruitment for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
            Never really understood (and still don't) the point of agencies from the side of the client. Yeah as contractors we are forced to use them because that's the hand that is given to us. Seems like a profession that exists just for the sake of it. If the agency is peeling £75-£100 off my rate - that's 18-25k a year the company could have saved if they found me themselves. And this is just 1 contractor! Could have just found someone else to do full time recruitment for that money.
            It's just simple outsourcing, just like they do with IT, marketing and many other aspects of their business that isn't directly related to what they do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you think agencies are bad? Wait till you have to deal with HR instead.... And a HR bod getting paid on the back of your efforts. And who also knows nothing about what you do as they're HR.

Agencies exist for a reason. Or do you think clients like paying more money?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Actually more to do with the naivety of Human Remains and the way agencies sell themselves. Pick one at random and read their website. They all have loads of fully qualified staff on their books ready to fill any role you are likely to ask for. The fact that they don't even look at their own database first but go straight to JobServe somehow doesn't appear.

I've lost count of how many clients thought that they were using a consultancy and I was one of their staff.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Recruiting your own contractors is a huge effort. If you'd ever worked as a PM you would know that you wouldn't have the time, you just ring up the agency.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Couple of times I have contracted direct were a real eye opener trying to get paid. Like it or not agents do serve a purpose for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Actually more to do with the naivety of Human Remains and the way agencies sell themselves. Pick one at random and read their website. They all have loads of fully qualified staff on their books ready to fill any role you are likely to ask for. The fact that they don't even look at their own database first but go straight to JobServe somehow doesn't appear.

I've lost count of how many clients thought that they were using a consultancy and I was one of their staff.
                      In my current (soon to end) role I am not sure if the think I am a consultant or contractor. Normally it is academic although a previous client started wanting me to do things like three days work in a fortnights time not realising I wasn't getting paid in the interim was a pain up until the point I got a better paid full time contract and waved them goodbye.

Comment

Working...
                      X