• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of an era

Hi all,
    after working in IT for nearly 49 years and contracting for 32 of them I am going to call time. Of course a highly paid, working from home, outside of IR35 contract might tempt me back
    So I am continuing with my property development and to that end am also now involved with commercial finance. This includes BTL Development and Mortgages amongst others. So if there is anyone out there I can help, please get in touch. Not sure if putting my email on here is acceptable but it is: <modsnip>

I hope the contracting world continues to be good to you all.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 19 January 2021, 08:59. Reason: No - not really. But people can request via PM.

Originally posted by pmasoft View Post
    Hi all,
    after working in IT for nearly 49 years and contracting for 32 of them I am going to call time. Of course a highly paid, working from home, outside of IR35 contract might tempt me back
    So I am continuing with my property development and to that end am also now involved with commercial finance. This includes BTL Development and Mortgages amongst others. So if there is anyone out there I can help, please get in touch. Not sue if putting my email on here is acceptable but it is: <mod snip>

I hope the contracting world continues to be good to you all.

Regards
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Congrats. Out of interest after 32 years of contracting have you not made enough to finally quit work completely [emoji6]

I just wonder when at what point people stop completely and never work again
      Working is not always about the money

Comment

Well done for getting out with a plan B!

Comment

Retirement or Diversify

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          Congrats. Out of interest after 32 years of contracting have you not made enough to finally quit work completely ?

I just wonder when at what point people stop completely and never work again
          I guess everybody is different. Personally I would get bored retiring. Hence my new "careers". Over the years I have diversified. Firstly in 2000 when IR35 materialised I went into property. 2007 I got into art. 2008 Interiors. 2020 Finance. I guess it keeps from getting stale. IT has always been there for me, just less so as time passed.

Comment

Retirement or Diversify

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Well done for getting out with a plan B!
            Thanks. At least I won't have to consider IR35 going forward.

Comment

Good luck with your future and putting up with IT for all that time!

I think there are many of us who'd like to give up IT altogether, especially with the IR35 stuff on the horizon. As boring and painful a lot of IT roles are, at least the money compensated. Rarely, there is a role where you work with good people or contractors and you get to work with some interesting tech. Now the money isn't going to be great anymore, reckon there will be a lot of people career changing or searching for a new path.
              Leave: "To remove oneself from association with or participation in"

Comment

Good luck and well done.

65 posts in 32 years of contracting. Who are you again?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Working is not always about the money
                  It's the one and only reason

Comment

You must have seen some changes in 49 years!

Comment

Working...
                    X