• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract vs Perm D-Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract vs Perm D-Day

Hi,

Interested in getting people's thoughts on the little dilemma I find myself in.

Currently on £500 PD (outside of IR35) with the contract running until end of March this year. Its very likely this will get extended by another 3 months and may go on for the duration of this year although not guaranteed of course.

I was approached for a very good perm job, close to home, after several interviews I secured the position, its a perm job on £75K with a 20-25% bonus on top each year.

I now am having second thoughts do I stick (stay contracting) or twist (go to the perm role) with all the perks that come with it? What would you do?

Interested in getting opinions.

Ta..

For me its a no-brainer, take the permie job.

But let's say you actually want to stay a contractor - read this thread to understand your outside IR35 position.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html

Because you will probably need to use an Umbrella from April.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I think it's a great time to go permie, because I'm going permie too

I didn't have a single day off in 2020. I won't know what to do with 25 days paid leave!

Comment

Would you regret going Perm, if IR35 changes doesn't happen in Apr'2021? If so, wait until March to get a clear picture. Until then continue with your contract. If and when the changes really happen in April, negotiate and drop your rate by a % to stay outside. You will still be profitable even with that % rate drop compared to being a Perm.
        Last edited by BigDataPro; 19 January 2021, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          Would you regret going Perm, if IR35 changes doesn't happen in Apr'2021? If so, wait until March to get a clear picture.
          The IR35 changes are going to take effect and that isn't part of the OP's question anyway.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I went perm due to Covid and regretted it. There is way more to the equation than just money.

Comment

Could you survive on so little income per month ?

Take the permie role and continue your contract at same time - double bubble

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Redbull2021 View Post
                Hi,

Currently on £500 PD (outside of IR35) with the contract running until end of March this year. Its very likely this will get extended by another 3 months and may go on for the duration of this year although not guaranteed of course.

I was approached for a very good perm job, close to home, after several interviews I secured the position, its a perm job on £75K with a 20-25% bonus on top each year.

I now am having second thoughts do I stick (stay contracting) or twist (go to the perm role) with all the perks that come with it? What would you do?

Ta..
                What perm perks make up £60K of lost income?

Imagine what you do now, then imagine doing same role for 1/2 money and monthly reviews and office politics and expected to work all hours for free

Then imagine that client hiring contractors to do what you do on double your rate

Then watch company get rid off you in a blink on an eye

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Redbull2021 View Post
                  Hi,

Ta..
                  I should add the permie role has pretty much a guaranteed bonus which accumulates to another £15k ish on top of the £75k but still a massive drop compared to the £500 PD rate. Other perks of the permie role are 28 days holiday, pension, private health care and the usual suspects (buy/sell leave and all that stuff)

Comment

You might be in a sector shielded from it but in the current climate I wouldn't be staking my financial future on receiving a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                    X