• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract vs Perm D-Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redbull2021 View Post
    with a 20-25% bonus on top each year.
    How common is this type of bonus these days?

I want to say a very low percentage of jobs have this, and even those, you have a low percentage chance of actually getting it in a given year.

But I really have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I want to say a very low percentage of jobs have this, and even those, you have a low percentage chance of actually getting it in a given year.
      Every perm job I've had has had some sort of bonus of at least 10% (increasing as the role seniority does). They've typically been tied to a combination of personal and company performance for the year, but I don't think they ever paid out at less than 80% of the bonus (due to company performance targets not being fully met).

Granted, 2020 was a different year, so I guess more companies will have looked closely at whether they could pay a bonus.

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      But I really have no idea.
      Evidently.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Every perm job I've had has had some sort of bonus of at least 10% (increasing as the role seniority does). They've typically been tied to a combination of personal and company performance for the year, but I don't think they ever paid out at less than 80% of the bonus (due to company performance targets not being fully met).

Granted, 2020 was a different year, so I guess more companies will have looked closely at whether they could pay a bonus.
        Same.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

75k is great depending on location. Not just north v south but commute and so on. While it’s no doubt currently wfh there will be a future commute to consider.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            What perm perks make up £60K of lost income?

Imagine what you do now, then imagine doing same role for 1/2 money and monthly reviews and office politics and expected to work all hours for free

Then imagine that client hiring contractors to do what you do on double your rate

Then watch company get rid off you in a blink on an eye
            It's not necessarily £60k of lost income. Could very likely be less. Rates vary all the time.

OP earns 500 a day now until end of March, then who knows. They may be unemployed for x months, they may be find another contract paying 400...or 300...or 700 (unlikely given the market trends).

And about the company getting rid of permies in a blink of an eye....in what sh1tholes have you worked? In all my professional experience I've only seen permies being made redundant once and in that case:
            - permies were granted a very generous redundancy package
            - permies were made redundant only after all contractors were canned

if it's a good company and the work is interesting, I don't see any problems in going permie.

Comment

I would take the permie role, given that post April you will more then likely end up inside via an umbrella. If not with this company then more than likely with a future one.

There has already been a drop in rates permie/contract unless you are lucky.

I myself found at the latter end of last year switching to permie from brolly within the same organization. The team was good, work was interesting and managed to get an acceptable rate.

Going on previous experience as a permie, a bonus is a bonus unless its written into your contract don't expect to get anything. Companies are very good at making excuses, my advice is work harder on getting a high base salary and any bonus is exactly that.

Best of luck whichever way you decide

Comment

I've just been offered a perm offer from the hedge fund I've been contracting with over the last 2 years. I think it looks like a good deal to me. My day rate was just bumped up to £775/day at the start of the year, and the perm offer is £120K base + £50K bonus in my first year, so essentially matching my outside IR35 gross per annum. Then 10% employers contribution on pension worth £12K, plus free private Bupa for me and my family, free dental and 25 days odd paid holiday. The work is interesting, I like everyone in the team and there's scope for career development. It's perhaps the best org I've worked for over my contracting career and I know of no permies who have left during my almost 2 year tenure there which is a good signal of general happiness amongst staff. So I'm pretty much decided on taking the offer after 15 years+ of contracting.

The changes in IR35 come April will reduce take home pay as a contractor and I'm sure if I rolled off my contract in April or beyond it would be nigh impossible to match my current day rate. Plus I think I'm looking for stability now I'm 50 and the potential time off sitting on the bench chasing new roles, doing interviews, etc I'm a bit jaded by, and in the wake of Corona I'm sure there are loads of benched contractors chasing after a reduced pool of roles making competition stiffer. It's a top tier hedge fund with a few hundred staff in London and I like the sociability of the place; rather than being some anonymous small cog working at a sprawling investment bank (and I've worked at plenty of those), people know who you are and there's plenty of water cooler chat.

Comment

Originally posted by mirageman View Post
                  I've just been offered a perm offer from the hedge fund I've been contracting with over the last 2 years. I think it looks like a good deal to me. My day rate was just bumped up to £775/day at the start of the year, and the perm offer is £120K base + £50K bonus in my first year, so essentially matching my outside IR35 gross per annum. Then 10% employers contribution on pension worth £12K, plus free private Bupa for me and my family, free dental and 25 days odd paid holiday. The work is interesting, I like everyone in the team and there's scope for career development. It's perhaps the best org I've worked for over my contracting career and I know of no permies who have left during my almost 2 year tenure there which is a good signal of general happiness amongst staff. So I'm pretty much decided on taking the offer after 15 years+ of contracting.

The changes in IR35 come April will reduce take home pay as a contractor and I'm sure if I rolled off my contract in April or beyond it would be nigh impossible to match my current day rate. Plus I think I'm looking for stability now I'm 50 and the potential time off sitting on the bench chasing new roles, doing interviews, etc I'm a bit jaded by, and in the wake of Corona I'm sure there are loads of benched contractors chasing after a reduced pool of roles making competition stiffer. It's a top tier hedge fund with a few hundred staff in London and I like the sociability of the place; rather than being some anonymous small cog working at a sprawling investment bank (and I've worked at plenty of those), people know who you are and there's plenty of water cooler chat.
                  I was in the same kind of boat. Took a permie job at the start of this year with a client I've been dealing with at director level since 2010. I developed two of their flagship products that they use to sell consultancy into companies. Back then it was me and 5 directors. Now there's about 100 employees in 5 countries. When I won the company online Escape Room competition, the CEO posted "This suck". And then "Eric has left the meeting". (He was back a little later, but it made me laugh).

Nah. It's a good company, reasonably ethical and most likely will see me to retirement.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If the bonus is not guaranteed your best assuming you get 0, I made same mistake took lower base going on the word of 20% bonus most years, however 6 yrs in I've seen at best 5% and that's with good appraisals, this is at a large non British Bank front office IT mid VP level, pay rises are like rocking horse sh@t. I would push the base up as they can't take that away. This year I expect double 0 on comp day in a few weeks time.
                    Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 21 January 2021, 20:18.

Comment

Originally posted by mirageman View Post

I'd jump at that, but make sure you set aside the 2 year back-taxes due in case HMRC come calling after April.

Comment

Working...
                      X