• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered Contract & Perm Roles in Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offered Contract & Perm Roles in Dublin

Hi folks,

Looking for advice from anyone who is familiar with the jobs market in Ireland. I'm fortune enough to have landed myself both a contract role and a perm role in Dublin and I'm completely torn on which one to take.

From what I read, contracting is not as lucrative in Ireland as everything is classed as PAYE, the concept of dividend payments as a contractor is not really a thing.

The breakdown of both contracts is:
    - Contract - €530 per day, 6 month contract (view to extend)
    - Perm - €85k, 10% bonus, pension, health care etc.

From a purely financial perspective, would anybody have any insight into which would work out better? I would be looking at a director umbrella solution for the contracting route. I have done the obvious calculations and the contract doesn't seem to work out that much better after pension/accountant/insurance fees are deducted.
    Last edited by DaaaaaaaaaaN; 28 January 2021, 08:11.

Originally posted by DaaaaaaaaaaN View Post
    Hi folks,

Looking for advice from anyone who is familiar with the jobs market in Ireland. I'm fortune enough to have landed myself both a contract role and a perm role in Dublin and I'm completely torn on which one to take.

From what I read, contracting is not as lucrative in Ireland as everything is classed as PAYE, the concept of dividend payments as a contractor is not really a thing.

From a purely financial perspective, would anybody have any insight into which would work out better? I would be looking at a PAYE umbrella solution for the contracting route. I have done the obvious calculations and the contract doesn't seem to work out that much better after pension/accountant/insurance fees are deducted.
    Perm offer looks a bit better to me once you factor in the benefits

If you are on PAYE/umbrella why do you need insurance or an accountant? Those are PSC related. If you are PAYE you are an employee of the umbrella.

Comment

I have done the obvious calculations and the contract doesn't seem to work out that much better after pension/accountant/insurance fees are deducted.
      Correct, contract does not really seem worth it at that rate.

Although you don't mention holiday pay? Do PAYE contracts in Ireland include or exclude paid holidays?

You could use the fact that you got a perm offer in your back pocket and try and squeeze the contract for more. Although the higher you go will reduce the chances of getting an extension. They might be desperate now and pay 600 (or more) but in six months not be so keen to extend at that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
        Perm offer looks a bit better to me once you factor in the benefits

If you are on PAYE/umbrella why do you need insurance or an accountant? Those are PSC related. If you are PAYE you are an employee of the umbrella.
        Sorry got my terminology slightly wrong, I meant director umbrella route, ie what is listed here - Contractor Company Pricing | Fenero personal tax services
        No holiday entitlements, still need to file accounts and have the usual indemnity/liability insurance etc, it seems like just a structure of payment to me with no employee benefits.

Comment

If you want employee benefits, take the perm job

Comment

Hi folks,

From a purely financial perspective, would anybody have any insight into which would work out better? I would be looking at a director umbrella solution for the contracting route. I have done the obvious calculations and the contract doesn't seem to work out that much better after pension/accountant/insurance fees are deducted.
            The perm role just has it BUT do check out what is covered in their health cover. Remember you pay for everything healthwise in Ireland and you do pay!
            Also healthwise avoid the Bon Secours hospitals if you can help it.
            If you got a rate cut after 6 months say by 5-10% on the contract. The perm would be much tastier.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Sorry got my terminology slightly wrong, I meant director umbrella route, ie what is listed here - Contractor Company Pricing | Fenero personal tax services
              No holiday entitlements, still need to file accounts and have the usual indemnity/liability insurance etc, it seems like just a structure of payment to me with no employee benefits.
              I'm remote contract in Dublin, currently WFH UK due covid, but did my 183 days isolated in a flat in Dublin before xmas yawn. director umbrella , registered for Irish tax. (yes `I know, I'll get back asap after this mess)

Director umbrella is definitely the way to go, you can claim relocation expenses (flights +/- ferry mileage) , then you can claim up to three months of accommodation from start of contract. UK mobile and internet is claimable, subscriptions (economist/webhosting/cloud) and 3.20 euro WFH covid per day, and a 500 eu gift card tax free (hello ps5 anyone?)

Occasional travel to and from your normal workplace is also deductable, as long as it's random enough to not follow a pattern, so pre-covid , I'd travel (ahem) 2-3 times a month totalling 800 odd miles, which is a nice 1200 odd km * 70 cents

training courses are also tax deductible, Python on Udemy at 199gbp is a nice 250 euros. if you get the gist.

pm me if you like

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                The perm role just has it BUT do check out what is covered in their health cover. Remember you pay for everything healthwise in Ireland and you do pay!
                Also healthwise avoid the Bon Secours hospitals if you can help it.
                If you got a rate cut after 6 months say by 5-10% on the contract. The perm would be much tastier.
                we called them bone suckers for a reason growing up

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
                  we called them bone suckers for a reason growing up
                  I am more concerned with their strong links to wrong end of the catholic church. Mind, view my views against the Irish catholic church are very strong.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                    I am more concerned with their strong links to wrong end of the catholic church. Mind, view my views against the Irish catholic church are very strong.
                    true, totally agree, having been educated in a SS jesuit christian brothers college, (compulsory sports and Irish language), one only needed to be able to run faster than the slowest boy in the class, to paraphrase the old adage of not being able to outrun the lion, just the slowest person in the your tour group, cruel but true

Comment

Working...
                    X