• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I contract in London through my (foreign) limited company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Griswald View Post
    I need to work through my Swiss company so I can write off my London expenses.

I know its perfectly legal to do this, but I also know agencies don't care and won't entertain the idea of dealing with a foreign company.
    If you can find an international agency with subsidiaries in both countries you may find they can do something.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by torero View Post
      I keep wondering whether contracting in the UK through an overseas limited company can help to avoid any headache with IR35?
      Nope.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter View Post
        Long way round: start up a UK company. Have it pay your Swiss company.
        +1

There are advantages to operating through split tax jurisdictions, in terms of revenue management using companies with different financial year ends and transfer pricing
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter View Post
          Long way round: start up a UK company. Have it pay your Swiss company.
          Is this allowed? And if it is then why everyone do not register a company in offshore with taxes close to zero and then transfer income from British company into offshore one?

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
            Is this allowed? And if it is then why everyone do not register a company in offshore with taxes close to zero and then transfer income from British company into offshore one?
            Because tax is due where the work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Because tax is due where the work is done.
              Sure they do - Starbucks.
              Yes, tax is due where the work is done, AFTER you paid your "license"/franchise fee/<you name it> to your Luxembourg based mothership company. Which expense is 95% of your turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                Yes, tax is due where the work is done, AFTER you paid your "license"/franchise fee/<you name it> to your Luxembourg based mothership company. Which expense is 95% of your turnover.
                Really useful thanks.... :/
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Given the state of the market it's almost like a hypothetical question.

It's like me saying "when I win the lottery next weekend how best should I invest my windfall" :-D

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                    There's a world of difference between multi-national plc and one-man-contractor Ltd...

Comment

Well you need to think about what is least hassle really.

You can setup lots of ways of doing it legally, just some are a lot more hassle.

The big boys do it all the time, and there are ways of moving the money round.

For instance Cognizant UK Ltd was for a long time (don't know if their current UK trading entity still is) a company registered in Mauritius despite having UK in the title. Many advantages to being registered somewhere like Mauritius such as no need to file accounts, so lots can be hidden. All the UK banks etc were happy to let this foreign entity have a UK bank account, and they happily ran a UK payroll etc.

The classic way of moving money from one country to another is to use multiple legal entities, the one in the lowest tax jurisdiction charges the other entities (where the money is earned) for use of the brand which they own, then the money can be moved as a charge for use of the brand. Hence the entity in the high tax country can show little or no profit while the money is moved to the low tax country as a payment for use of the brand.

And so on and so on.

Comment

Working...
                      X