• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello greetings and ... questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello greetings and ... questions

Hello all, Captain here,

First some great news, it looks like I'll finally be getting out of permie hell. Onto the open road and all that jazz. Fame, fortune, and from looking a some threads, bedsits, divorce and takeaways.

On a more serious note, I am currently a permie, but with my other (and better) half moving across the country to a new job, I thought it's time for me to pursue my dream of being a contractor. But I've got a few questions, if you will. Or if you won't flame away. I've been around long enough to have a flameproof skin

I'm thinking that it's going to be roughly the start of December, last week of November before I can start any contract and I'm concernced that any contract positions will dry up as the festive season approaches. Is this a valid concern or am I just worrying about nothing?

Initially I'll be going for pretty much anything just to get to grips with this contracting lark, but with a supporting partner I'm not in a position where it's get a job or else. However, sitting 'on da bench' for a long time will bore me sensless.

What's the deal with VM-Ware and Blade technology? Is this an upcoming area or have I missed the boat? I've currently got free reign access to both technologies, but no chance of any certification or official training. With the right experience will having no certificates hinder me much? I've also got SAN access but again no prospect of training or certification. Is there any partiuclar area I should be concentrating on, or really, is it making sure my total game is strong.

Captain over and out
    See that guy over there, working 24/6, that permie?
    That's you that is

You'll have to do some serious blagging if you want to contract in any of the areas you've described.

Generally speaking, one of the main benefits of contractors as far as companies are concerned is that they're highly accomplished (3-4 years experience or more) in their chosen field - therefore no hand-holding, guidance or training is required whilst on the job.

Don't you have any existing areas of expertise where you can boast a high level of experience?

Comment

Depends on your background. Mine is server support, and VMWare, Blade and SAN are all "good to haves" around my core skills. Helps in contract getting. But depends on what you are going to sell as your core area

Comment

Ah, I've got plenty of experience in other areas of networks; infastructure, management etc etc, I'm just aware that the virtualisation, blades and SAN are all pretty new at my current employer. It's a pretty steep but cool learning curve and I was wondering what opportunities and level of expertise people are expecting.

I wouldn't expect any future employee to both training me in this stuff, I just mean't there's no way my current place would entertain me having this sort of training, because they're expecting me to go with my partner, so I'd have to sign into some lengthy contract, something I'm not prepared to do.

So, it sounds like really, given I'm pretty green to these particular tech's, I'd be better suited grabbing some certification, if that's where I want to go.

Hearty advice me shipbound fellows.
        See that guy over there, working 24/6, that permie?
        That's you that is

Comment

Working...
        X