• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on new website / business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on new website / business

Folks, myself and a mate have just developed a new travel site (which will hopefully supplement or even replace our precarious positions in the world that is IT Contracting...)

We would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who would like to have a look-see and let us know their thoughts on it and any improvements they'd like to see.

The address is www.flitesite.com

Be interested to hear your opinions on the pricing engines and map page.

Cheers
    Alan

re:

IMO you should differentiate the hyperlink colour to the main text colour. Other than that looks good

Comment

Looks good, but I can't really use it because the page is too wide to fit in my browser (Netscape 7.01) Also, when I hover over the map, the highlighted continent appears about 3 inches to the right of my little pointy hand, making it difficult to click on - is this supposed to happen?
      Personally, you'd be more likely to entice me if you shoved a few bargain flight deals right in front of my face.

Comment

Yes, the site has been optimised around using explorer 5.5 so I'm not surprised you're seeing problems on Netscape.

The next major hurdle we have to get over is finding advertisers for the site - then hopefully we should indeed be able to have some special offers on the front page.

Should we start getting a bit of revenue going through the site we'll be ploughing that back in to make get rid of the problems you're seeing. There's only so much of our own money we can keep putting into it (contracting rates really aren't what they used to be ;-))

Thanks very much for the comments so far, thats really the sort of thing we need to be hearing!

Cheers
        Alan

Comment

nice site you are using PHP as well which is nice!

Comment

I'm getting the same type of issues as Thunderlizard, although the images are appearing to the left when I hover over the map...

I'm using IE6 with a screen res of 1400 x 1050...

If you're looking for a web tester at all let me know!! :b

Comment

Just changed my resolution to 1600 x 900 and it seemed fine until I dragged the corner of the browser out to change the size. Seems fine for me if the browser is maximised though.

Well, this is why I posted! really need to find all the issues and try to get them sorted!.
              Thanks people!

Al

Comment

On my screen it is fine until the browser width is greater than the actual page width (if you know what I mean...).

Even when the page is maximised I have the same problem.

Comment

Forget the techie stuff

All I want from a travel site is cheap flights. Just a a box with "where are you flying from", "where are you flying to" and "cost".

With sites such as Opodo, Lastminute et al, this is a very hard market to get into.

A site that is missing is a "lads" holiday site, with info on cities such as which bars have the best birds in, which bars show footie, which hotels will take 8 lads etc etc. How much should a taxi from the airport cost.

The same for women ie where do all the lads go (so they can avoid it).

Comment

re: Forget the techie stuff

We do have exactly what you want :
                    www.flitesite.co.uk/prici....php?cid=1
                    a simple screen asking where you want to fly from, where you want to go to and it then gives you a whole list of cheap flight! :-)
                    To get to it, just clip on the little $ icon on the first page.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

Working...
                    X