• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember me..???? I am the one reached 1000 applications...!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember me..???? I am the one reached 1000 applications...!!

thanks...
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 3 March 2008, 14:41.

Christ on a bike! That is so much better. I actually want to read it and find out your skills etc whereas before I immediately thought "ugh! this looks painful to read, no thanks!"

Only couple of things I would say now is that in each of your contracts you list, you put the client in bold and your role in normal font, put it the other way round! This way with a skim read I can straight away tell what you have been doing, rather where you have been doing it. The list also starts in numbered form, and then turns into arrows?

In your computer skill matrix, it would be easier to read if you put the list of items into columns, and in alphabetical order rather than a comma separated list. You have very many skills which is good, but I just want to see if you have the one skill I am recruiting for.

Well done. Now go and get a job. What you waiting for, a gold medal??!
    Last edited by MrRobin; 29 February 2008, 13:02.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

First of all, it looks (and is) much better…

(I've concentrated on the 1st page)

1) Push the degree back to the last page;

2) Second heading should be “Achievements” – what have you done; what benefits have you brought to your client company?

3) Computer Skills? No, No NO! You need to show off your Expertise, you are a manager for heaven’s sake – computer skills are only one area of expertise! How do you manage your team? How do you keep the team in-line with the rest of the project? Remember – tools are NOT important, what you do with them is (go back to 2.) You are a Testing Manager - you want a Testing Manager's role (I presume) so state your expertise in this area (Expertise is the 3rd heading is what I'm saying...) One of your bullets can say 'experienced in a wide range of testing tools and methods' to summarise.

4) So, push ‘Computer skills’ to after Professional Experience.

5) Still too much detail in your Professional Experience, but I’ll leave the Test experts to feedback on that.

6) Put your Professional Certifications after your Professional Experience as well - Don't worry about this. Your CV will still appear when pimps do searches on the key words.

Note: you already have the info for 3 (and probably for 2 but I haven't looked that hard) - but you don't want recruiters to have to sift through is, as MrRobin said.

Remember, that 1st page is for vital info that will win you the next contract - "I'm good and this is why you must hire me".

Just a scan but you have the beginnings of a good CV...
      Last edited by cojak; 29 February 2008, 13:25.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That was 100 times better than your previous one. Well done on getting such a vast improvement on your CV. I also found it much easier on the eye and found myself reading through it rather than being blinded by information.

Good luck in finding a role.

Comment

Also reduce margins from 3cm each side to 2. It'll still look good and you'll be able to get more on that 1st page.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Very impressive now.

Well done.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I'm a Test Manager in the North West and i would take you with that CV. keep us informed of how you get on.

Good luck
              Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Get your pages to break in more appropriate places... though agencies will butcher that anyway! The left/Right margins seem a bit wide. Put a header for pages after the first with your name. "Curriculum Vitae of A Tester."

Change the properties! Title: Binu, Author: Binu, Company O2, Comments: Resume updated for 2007...

And who cares about your driving license and the fact that you've worked in Canada, Spain and the UK. More relevant could be languages.

Rename "computer skills" to "Skills summary" or something, preferably on a seperate page. Then you can add in soft skills and languages etc.

Otherwise, looks reasonable. I wish you the best of luck!
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Looks good mate.

10/10

Let us know how you get on now you have decent looking CV layout.

Comment

Key skills of "Communication, Leadership, Organisation and Coordination, Planning, Mentoring, Negotiation, Business and Technical Acumen, Project Management and Problem Solving" should not have a capital letter for each one.

I wouldn't number the jobs - someone may look and think "he's only had 7 roles". Particularly since some are numbered and some are bulleted. I wouldn't have either.

I wouldn't include the countries where you've worked (unless you are applying for a role in Canada or Spain), since it's not relevant to your ability to do the job.

As Cojak says, not sure if you need the computer skills there at all - certainly not where you have them. If you are mentioning them in the roles, I would pick them out in bold to make it easier to see the key things that you've done.

I haven't read the job descriptions, to be honest, just focussed on the rest of it.

Best of luck.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X