• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I be honest..????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be honest..????

I am a telecom tester & manager looking for gig for last 10 weeks now. But in my CV I am not showing that gap.

Pimps normally ask me "how long I am looking..?". My answer for last 10 weeks is "for a week "..!! Should I say the truth to pimps that I am looking for last 10 weeks....???
    Also Should I show in my CV that I am jobless for last 10 weeks..???
    I am thinking pimps might interpret that as I am "not capable"..??

Another usual pimp question is "How is response so far..??" "Did u had any interviews lined up..?". Should I say “YES” to give impression that I am very HOT item in mkt..? Or "No" is good to confirm I am still available..??

Suggestions please……….

your a contractor which means you work when ever you want, if ur like me i finished on 31st of december, i was dum ebough to look for permie work for the first month and didnt find anything suitable, i only just got a gig on the 2nd march, after about 4 job offers hehe.

dont tell them you have had interviews tehy will want to know ur sources just say you took a break and only now you are looking. Your making them money so they dont care about the fact you haven't found anything.
    Just dont give them an avenue to get info out of you.
    Thats my opinion anyway if you tell them you have interviews lined up they wont even put you forward as they know they risk loosing you to another agency/client.
    Your in control of the agent always have that in your mind, agents are pimps, well most of them!
    So just say you finished your last gig and took a break nice 'n' simple

Comment

I think it looks bad if you've been on the shelf for a while. Even if you're ideal for the job, they'll still likely assume you're on your uppers and use it as an excuse to cut your price. Tell them you've just got back from the Bahamas last week.

Originally posted by Martin2007 View Post
      Another usual pimp question is "How is response so far..??" "Did u had any interviews lined up..?". Should I say “YES” to give impression that I am very HOT item in mkt..? Or "No" is good to confirm I am still available..??
      In all my years I've never worked out which is preferable. I don't think it makes much difference - as you say, either has its merits. I've taken to saying "Interviews? I haven't worked like that for years. Are you sure you want a consultant and not a graduate trainee?".

Comment

Clients hate gaps on CVs. I make sure there are none. I have a friend who let me work for his company (along with his Indians) during the last downturn. It was only for a few months - but covered the gap and kept my skills fresh and kept a tiny amount of money coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Clients hate gaps on CVs. I make sure there are none. I have a friend who let me work for his company (along with his Indians) during the last downturn. It was only for a few months - but covered the gap and kept my skills fresh and kept a tiny amount of money coming in.
          Yes Brillo, but not all of us have this luxury
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Just tell them you had a holiday and have just started looking again.

Comment

Pimps normally ask me "how long I am looking..?". My answer for last 10 weeks is "for a week "..!! Should I say the truth to pimps that I am looking for last 10 weeks....???
              "I haven't really been looking for the last 10 weeks, just been enjoying some time off with the family/car/boat"

No leads for pimps until they have delivered at least once.

My standard line is, "I've got a few irons in the fire"
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I am a telecom tester & manager looking for gig for last 10 weeks now. But in my CV I am not showing that gap.

Suggestions please……….
                I didn't leave Permiedom in order to crawl around working out what someone I'm in hock to might want to hear. I tell the truth - any agent that doesn't want to hear that is quite welcome to feel that way. If he thinks that means that he and I would not get on, I can but agree.

All of my periods not spent working are clearly visible on my CV. If anybody asks why I was out of work for 15 months, I tell the truth: the money ran out and I had to come back to work!

Comment

Suggestions please……….
                  "How long have you been looking?" - not long. Been taking it easy, having a well-earned break from the last few contracts, brushing up on some new skills, spending time with the family, etc. etc. etc.

"Any interviews lined up?" - a couple that I'm waiting on a definite date and time for, and some others that look promising, but nothing firm at the moment.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Suggestions please……….

My contracts are usually 1-3 years in length. I always take at least 3 months off between them. I put on CV, "enjoying some time off". No client has ever said anything other than "lucky bu&&er" and I get the gig. Just say you fancied a break, it's a perk of contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X