• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mentioning professional memberships on your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentioning professional memberships on your CV

Hi all,

After a month of no interest at all, I'm busily trying to re-write my CV to make it more effective to help me get my first gig. If I've joined the PCG and the BCS is there any value in mentioning them, or is there a danger in putting agencies off?

Cheers,
    Noob.

Apologies, posted this in the wrong section. Could someone move it to General if that's more suitable please?

Cheers,
    Noob.

Comment

When I was a member of the aforesaid institutions, it was on my CV. Can't say it made any difference.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wouldn't have thought that PCG membership makes any difference.

BCS might - you may end up being interviewed by someone who values that kind of thing.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Lego Builders Club on mine

Comment

For some jobs my MIMechE and MIET along with EC(UK) professional registration are pre-requisites for the job. Given the choice between two equally convincing CV's I'd choose the professionally qualified candidate if that was all that was between them.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by noob View Post
              Apologies, posted this in the wrong section. Could someone move it to General if that's more suitable please?

Cheers,
              Noob.
              No need to apologise, this is the right place for this question

As most have said, putting them on your CV will only do you some good if the person reading it thinks highly of them.

However putting them on your CV is less likeley to put someone off, so in my opinion there is no harm in putting them on.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. Will let you all know if I have any luck with the new & improved CV

Comment

Originally posted by noob View Post
                  Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. Will let you all know if I have any luck with the new & improved CV
                  I had my CV written for me, they did a better job than I could. I saw it as part of my investment in becoming a contractor.

HTH
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    I had my CV written for me, they did a better job than I could. I saw it as part of my investment in becoming a contractor.

HTH
                    I've been tempted to do that. I had an CV writing company contact me last week, quoting 400 quid for doing it, but thought I'd give it a go myself first

Comment

Working...
                    X