• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie contract VAT exclusive question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie contract VAT exclusive question

Hi,
    New to the world of the contractor, I have set up my limited company and will apply for VAT registration when I have sumbitted my first invoice.

I have been offered though an agency and chose an opt out contract. The terms state my Ltd company "shall be paid on a VAT exclusive basis". Does this mean that I will invoice, and be paid, for my day rate plus the VAT, or does it mean the day rate includes VAT??

I know that this sounds like a dumb question, but I need a bit off reassurance before I sign it.

No, you need to add VAT to your rate and invoice them for that.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by frank4 View Post
      Hi,
      New to the world of the contractor, I have set up my limited company and will apply for VAT registration when I have sumbitted my first invoice.
      You should apply for your VAT registration now.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        No, you need to add VAT to your rate and invoice them for that.
        WTF??? Do you actually understand the applicable law?

You can't charge VAT unless you're registered for VAT. If you intend to register for VAT (or if you think you'll make over £64k-ish gross this year when it ceases to be an option) you should invoice with "VAT Registration applied for" on them and back-invoice for the VAT when you are registered.

Absolute Rule 1 of business: don't piss about with the VATMan
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Remember to add "vat registration pending" to your invoices till you get your number.

Then send an invoice for the vat that should have been paid.

Comment

Thanks to all, that very clear and helpful. Just a wee wobble when I read the contract....

Comment

Working...
            X