• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A recruiter from Oliver James Associates contacted me last week for two references. Also, he said there is a highly respected client he is working for. and they have 3 positions. so he asks me if I could forward him details of my contractor friends, so that he can ask.

i replied no to all that. He doesn't seem to give up yet and keep calling me a few times after. I am going to add him to the list of agents I don't deal with. just really feel like hardest part of contracting with dealing with these lying cheating agents. They do it very bluntly.

Comment

Originally posted by mmo0690 View Post
      They do it very bluntly.
      I respond by being equally blunt. They're very thick skinned and will do a reverse ferret in seconds if they think they can make some money out of it.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yep I did 6 months for them a while back

Comment

Oscar Assoc.

Anyone have any experience of dealing with these ppl (good/bad)?
          They've re-run an ad which was out a few weeks ago, so they could be just fishing for CVs, then based on an email I've had, they could well fit into the 'we need 2 references' before we can put you forward thread...

Should maybe add (in fairness) that they've told me who the client is, and location, plus a small job spec, so am hesitant about adding them to the IJNTGTR thread.

I'm just not comfortable with the 2 refs before even getting an interview etc.

Update: Yep, as suspected, there was no role. Bunch of jokers.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

As I was reading this, I was thinking it really doesn't matter if they 'tell you who the client is'.

Because of course, and perhaps you'd sussed this due to your edit, they just offered Any name...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              As I was reading this, I was thinking it really doesn't matter if they 'tell you who the client is'.

Because of course, and perhaps you'd sussed this due to your edit, they just offered Any name...
              It doesn't really matter in most cases to the contractor but it does to the agent. They are worried the contractor will either approach the client direct or get another agent to go in and represent. Funny thing is they are also wary of their own poor practice and are concerned that you are another agent fishing.
              One agent said exactly this to me when I pushed the clients name. I pointed out my linkedin and they had my CV etc so clearly not an agent but she was still concerned. Must be a case of self guilt or whatever the word is.

Of course they are kind of legitimate reasons. There is of course the client not existing and what ever stupid games they play.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;2628531]
                One agent said exactly this to me when I pushed the clients name. I pointed out my linkedin and they had my CV etc so clearly not an agent but she was still concerned. Must be a case of self guilt or whatever the word is.
                QUOTE]

Ok, must admit I have not had This particular experience.

With all of these threads, there is really no right or wrong process for responses to these questions or scenarios. More, it is a case of feeling ones way through the game subsequent to being put in (many of) these scenarios. Some you get right, some you don't.

Most are rectified by a drink and a squaring of the shoulders in anticipation of Round 3.

Comment

I'm genuinely amused that 11 years after I opened this thread the same agents are using the same spiel. Is there a finishing school for agents somewhere? If so - time to change your patter folks.

PS

Back looking for a contract after a 5 years hiatus. This should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    I'm genuinely amused that 11 years after I opened this thread the same agents are using the same spiel. Is there a finishing school for agents somewhere? If so - time to change your patter folks.

PS

Back looking for a contract after a 5 years hiatus. This should be fun.
                    Why? It works. Plenty of people still fall for it so why should they?

Welcome back.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Last few weeks I notice a trend where I receive calls from a withheld number. Pimps say a random agency name (but they are names of existing agencies or very close to names of existing agencies) and say they have some contracts, but of course are not allowed not reveal the names of the customer, but still want to know where I have been forwarded to "to avoid conflicts". I usually hang up at this point.
                      In two cases this week they even sent me a "job profile", (one from a gmail address ) which looked so generic, I decided to google some phrases and I found it was just taken of some website that gives tips how to write a jobprofile, word by word exactly the same.

Looks like some pimps are getting desperate

Comment

Working...
                      X