• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
    Oh dear, you do have it bad today. Now be a good agent and stop with the insults, no need old chap.
    If you are that good at what you do you wouldnt need to act like a common little spiv and brag about it. One thing that you have not learnt is that by bragging about how much money you make you do not impress any contractors. The only people likely to be impressed by your bulltulip are the mickey pearce types in this world.

It is this bragging mentality that i find so degrading about recruitment consultants. I train my own staff to never talk about how much money they earn.

I learnt this lesson years ago when I turned up to take a contractor out in a Porsche. I parked it where everyone could see it thinking "they will be impressed at dealing with someone that succesful".. Wrong, the contractors (for whatever reason.. right or wrong.) loathed it. The client was told "that bastard is ripping you off" and never dealt with me again.

I now drive a Ford Mondeo (albeit top of the range ) on the basis that it strikes the right balance between being succesful enough without being flashy, and I get no adverse reaction to it.

IBM used to insist on sales people wearing dark blue suits and white shirts because this clothing was the least likely combination to irritate clients.

I suggest my agency "friend" that you adopt a little more humility, that way you will be taken a little nmore seriously.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Ok, they'd still have a job, just less BMWs parked up at home.
      fewer

unless someone has started cutting bits of them, which is always a possibility I suppose.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        fewer

unless someone has started cutting bits of them, which is always a possibility I suppose.
        Front bumpers prove popular in being removed for some bizarre reason.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          If you are that good at what you do you wouldnt need to act like a common little spiv and brag about it. One thing that you have not learnt is that by bragging about how much money you make you do not impress any contractors. The only people likely to be impressed by your bulltulip are the mickey pearce types in this world.

It is this bragging mentality that i find so degrading about recruitment consultants. I train my own staff to never talk about how much money they earn.

I learnt this lesson years ago when I turned up to take a contractor out in a Porsche. I parked it where everyone could see it thinking "they will be impressed at dealing with someone that succesful".. Wrong, the contractors (for whatever reason.. right or wrong.) loathed it. The client was told "that bastard is ripping you off" and never dealt with me again.

I now drive a Ford Mondeo (albeit top of the range ) on the basis that it strikes the right balance between being succesful enough without being flashy, and I get no adverse reaction to it.

IBM used to insist on sales people wearing dark blue suits and white shirts because this clothing was the least likely combination to irritate clients.

I suggest my agency "friend" that you adopt a little more humility, that way you will be taken a little nmore seriously.
          An agent amongst agents!

"His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

And this is where it all falls apart for you, I don't actually believe you are a recruitment consultant. Who uses the term "spiv" these days, it heralds from the black market during the 2nd world war for ****s sake. I've never bragged about how much money I earn (people have drawn conclusions, which is different), in any event you are entitled to think what you think, but you cannot expect everyone to agree with it. Your description of you and your "porsche" is bulltulip, do you really think corporation's operate like that, "look what the agent is taking, I will never use them again" - explain to me how consultancies work then, with the massive mark up's they charge, most companies are happy to adopt the associated charges. Its crap, its not what you are worth, its all about delivery. Quite frankly with the attitude I have seen from you on here, I wouldn't employ you, I think you are sycophantic, self deprecating and lacking any drive what-so-ever, and I feel sad for your staff that they have such a negative character as you as there manager.

Trust me a top of the range Ford Mondeo is not striking a good balance, mate its not striking anything.

It will be interesting to see which of us weather's the current econmoic climate, I look forward to seeing you on the other side of 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by Romanymagic View Post
              And this is where it all falls apart for you, I don't actually believe you are a recruitment consultant. Who uses the term "spiv" these days, it heralds from the black market during the 2nd world war for ****s sake. I've never bragged about how much money I earn (people have drawn conclusions, which is different), in any event you are entitled to think what you think, but you cannot expect everyone to agree with it. Your description of you and your "porsche" is bulltulip, do you really think corporation's operate like that, "look what the agent is taking, I will never use them again" - explain to me how consultancies work then, with the massive mark up's they charge, most companies are happy to adopt the associated charges. Its crap, its not what you are worth, its all about delivery. Quite frankly with the attitude I have seen from you on here, I wouldn't employ you, I think you are sycophantic, self deprecating and lacking any drive what-so-ever, and I feel sad for your staff that they have such a negative character as you as there manager.

Trust me a top of the range Ford Mondeo is not striking a good balance, mate its not striking anything.

It will be interesting to see which of us weather's the current econmoic climate, I look forward to seeing you on the other side of 2010!
              I have to agree with the bit about no one ever giving me a job. It is the only intelligible string of words from your illiterate diatribe
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

now now ladies

Comment

Ford Mondeo. Modest? Pah, You won't learn the true meaning of humility till you drive a Ford Ka. I had one for a year

Comment

Apart from the cat-fighting - this post has answered my question about whether to give references to agencies up front immediately - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Philth View Post
                      Apart from the cat-fighting - this post has answered my question about whether to give references to agencies up front immediately - thanks!

Good, so can you now provide your two most recent references? Me and DA need to split the eventual proceeds!
                      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Working...
                      X